Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alsa 1.0.18 Installation Script

Beans

Alsa 1.0.18 Installation Script

Latest post update 01/21/2009

THIS THREAD IS FROM NOW ON CONTINUED OVER HERE:

ALSA Upgrade Script
    Last edited by soundcheck; January 21st, 2009 at 12:47 PM.

Beans

Re: Alsa 1.0.18 Installation Script

worked very good for me..
    HP DV9575Ep with intel HDA (realtek alc268 )
    Thank you very much
    PowerMac G4 400MHZ Gigabit Ethernet/1.75Gb PC133/Geforce 6200 256MB/PCI WIFI RT3060/USB 2.0 NEC/Viewsonic PF775

Beans

Finally the other two kept failing on me, but this worked....well sort of.

Now when I open amarok and trying to play it freezes. If I select pulseaudio it will play no problems through 2 speakers only, even though the daemon.conf says 6 speakers. If I restart the x server then sound is fine and through pref < sounds I can play test sounds on pulse or alsa it is fine. As soon as I try to play through amarok with alsa then it freezes and I can no longer do test sounds. So I tryed mplayer set to pulse, just fine. I tryed it again with alsa set and unlike amarok it did play, but it was very slow and popped and clicked. I did notice that it said it was 44100 Hz, and I am not sure but I believe my cmi9761 (SI7012) is 48000 Hz only. So I will look into that.

As far as the script goes, thanks seemed to work great!!

Edit:

I got sick of messing with it and opened the package manager, searched alsa, and everything marked installed I set to reinstall and now it is fine. So I guess if you need to rollback you can try that.
    Last edited by ~TheMik; October 30th, 2008 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Update!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ~TheMik View Post
    Finally the other two kept failing on me, but this worked....well sort of.

Now when I open amarok and trying to play it freezes. If I select pulseaudio it will play no problems through 2 speakers only, even though the daemon.conf says 6 speakers. If I restart the x server then sound is fine and through pref < sounds I can play test sounds on pulse or alsa it is fine. As soon as I try to play through amarok with alsa then it freezes and I can no longer do test sounds. So I tryed mplayer set to pulse, just fine. I tryed it again with alsa set and unlike amarok it did play, but it was very slow and popped and clicked. I did notice that it said it was 44100 Hz, and I am not sure but I believe my cmi9761 (SI7012) is 48000 Hz only. So I will look into that.

As far as the script goes, thanks seemed to work great!!

Edit:

I got sick of messing with it and opened the package manager, searched alsa, and everything marked installed I set to reinstall and now it is fine. So I guess if you need to rollback you can try that.
    Did you reboot the system after the upgrade?
    Did you check alsamixer if all channels are active and unmuted?
    You should run the uxchecker script. This will deliver most of the data
    needed to track down the issue.
    Pulse might upsample - depending on your settings - to 48khz by default. Amarok also upsamples to 48khz by default. Alsa sounds are usually also played in 48khz. Strange that Amarok locks up the system. That should never happen.

Beans

Hi I'm running ubuntu 8.04 64 bit, I selected 1.0.18, the script failed compiling utils, the log says:

Code:
    checking for libasound headers version >= 1.0.16... not present.
    configure: error: Sufficiently new version of libasound not found.
    alsa-utils-1.0.18 make failed
    I've done a sudo apt-get install libasound2-dev but am told I have the latest version.

Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

So ihacked my way through the dependency issues by installing the debs for libasound2 and libasound2-dev from the intrepid repository, now I have the following issue:

Code:
    gcc  -g -O2   -o aplay  aplay.o  -lasound -lm -ldl -lpthread
    aplay.o: In function `do_test_position':
    /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18/alsa-utils-1.0.18/aplay/aplay.c:1403: undefined reference to `snd_pcm_avail_delay'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[1]: *** [aplay] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18/alsa-utils-1.0.18/aplay'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    now I'm stumped, I guess I'll just have to dist-upgrade to intrepid...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimifelony View Post
    Hi I'm running ubuntu 8.04 64 bit, I selected 1.0.18, the script failed compiling utils, the log says:

Code:
    I've done a sudo apt-get install libasound2-dev but am told I have the latest version.

Any ideas?
    Hi.

1. The script downloads the latest libasound-dev from the repositories by itself. No need to do it manually.
    2. All packages compiled OK except the alsa-utils.
    3. I am wondering if the newly build libasound needs to be installed (make install) prior to building the utils. When testing the whole thing I started off from an 1.0.18-rc3 installation.

I separated this step "configure/make" from "make install" on purpose. If a configure or make would fail on a later compiled package this would cause inconsistencies. Such a thing would have happened in your case. But now - your system is still untouched.

Perhaps we need to tell the utils-package where to find the new libasound-headers.

I'll check it out.

Beans

I went to the sources folder and ran make install for alsa-lib, and then afterwards for utils and utils compiled without error.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Hey soundcheck I did use uxchecker and didn't see anything out of the ordinary as compared to the to the check to installing. Then again I have been at this a week now so though I am learning quickly I certainly don't know much. Everything thing in the mixer was good to go as well. Amarok didn't lock the system, it froze during play. I would hit the play button the graphic EQ at the bottom would start (no sound) and then just freeze. I would have to force quit then go into System Manager and manually close amarokapp as it was using the cpu fulload.

So the "rollback" didn't quite work as excepted either. I do have 5.1 and softvol again via the asoundrc, but there is no /ect/asound.conf anymore just the state file. Which upon reboot sets everything back to mute (center and lfe) with no master control. When and if I play a song then the asoundrc loads and everything is back to normal until a reboot. I did try the apt-get to uninstall alsa with the purge command and reloading everything but that did nothing for me. So I went into the package manager and reinstalled that way and at least I can listen to music again. I will try more troubleshooting and see what I can find. Right now it looks like a reinstall of hardy maybe in order (would be my 5th time cause I keep breaking things lol).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimifelony View Post

Code:

Any ideas?

I have the same issue. My other problem is that I'm a linux newbie, so i might have trouble following these directions.

I have an old intel motherboarded pentium3 with a newish install of Hardy Heron. The sound card is onboard and I havent checked the chipset name yet. Sound works under Windows without special drivers due to the age of the board, and I don't really know what to do with linux. This was the first thing I tried, because this script looks like it takes care of everything for me. I ran the 1.0.18 under the assumption that bigger numbers are better.

This was the result:
    Code:
    Thanks for any support, and let me know if I can get you any extra information about the system environment.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast