Re: Alsa 1.0.18 Installation Script

Tkx for the script

I'm having problem to have my sound card to work with Intrepid Ibex 8.10
    my laptop is an acer aspire 6920
    running Intrepid Ibex 8.10
    Kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
    Chip ALC889

Everything was working grate on ubuntu 8.04
    than upgrade to Ibex and sound card went down.

Tkx to reply

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Well, I can describe my way of getting it to work.

1.) Download and install the latest Alsa update, as described by soundcheck:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...0&d=1226491630

2.) Sudo open /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and find the line "options snd-hda-intel model=". Make it look like

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=acer-aspire
    3.) Download hda-verb from ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/tiwai/...rb-0.2.tar.bz2 . Unpack it, and use "make" in the folder to compile the files.

4.) Copy the created files into /usr/local/bin

5.) Sudo open /etc/rc.local and add the line

Code:
    /usr/local/bin/hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x15 SET_EAPD_BTLENABLE 2
    6.) Reboot, and it should work from now on.

That's how I did it, thanks to jansaell and soundcheck!
    Last edited by costre; November 15th, 2008 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Wrong link to alsa update ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos.Alexandris View Post
    P.S. The script was installed successfully but it doesn't activate the built-in speakers on a MBP5,1. I'll try again another time...
    Well, finally I got *some* sound out after repeating all steps. But I have only "Mono" output and not stereo. I have no idea how to fix that! Any recomendations?

EDIT: I have already posted some info about it in this thread/post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...59&postcount=9.

P.S. soundcheck, thank you for your efforts.
    Last edited by Nikos.Alexandris; November 14th, 2008 at 11:43 PM. Reason: minor addition...

Beans

I've tried using this script but the driver is failing to compile. Can anyone help?

I'm running Mythbuntu 8.04 kernel 2.6.24-16-generic

My compile error:

Code:
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a  CPP="gcc -E" CC="gcc" modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
      CC [M]  /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/hrtimer.o
    In file included from /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/hrtimer.c:2:
    /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/../alsa-kernel/core/hrtimer.c: In function âsnd_hrtimer_callbackâ:
    /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/../alsa-kernel/core/hrtimer.c:29: error: implicit declaration of function âhrtimer_forward_nowâ
    make[3]: *** [/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/hrtimer.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
    make: *** [compile] Error 2

Beans

Hi! I am trying to run the script... I guess it needs to be executed like
    Code:
    sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.12.sh -i
    EDIT: or better with
    Code:
    sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.12.sh -f
    (??)

since executing without "-i" doesn't do anything. I get
    Code:
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    -  Script usage: ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.12.sh {-f down+inst|-d ownload |-c compile | -i nstall}
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    If that's the case could you please correct the instructions in the first page?

EDIT: Also, which packages should be backed-up? Or do you mean data of the entire system? It's not clear to me.

Thank you, Nikos
    Hi.

1. Yes I mean backup the system. It is always better to do that,
    before touching the system.

2. Options:

-f: Complete upgrade

download+compile+install. This is the choice for
    people with limited background, especially if you run the script the
    first time.

-d: download only

Some people might want to just download all packages
    to be able to tailor the installation.
    Some might want to patch source code before running the installation.

-c: compile only

You can run this option as a kind of dry run. Nothing will be touched in the system. Note: Data must be "downloaded" first. Look for error messages in the output log.

-i: compile and install

The -i compiles and installs the already "downloaded" source-code
    If there are no data on the disk, nothing will happen.
    The intention with this option is a) to avoid downloading data all the
    time, especially if nothing has changed at the Alsa front and b) to avoid overwriting patched data and c) it'll speed up the process
    if you have to re-run the script e.g. after Ubuntu has overwritten Alsa data during an upgrade, kernel-upgrade or similar, or you run multiple kernels on one machine.

Cheers

Beans

Well, finally I got *some* sound out after repeating all steps. But I have only "Mono" output and not stereo. I have no idea how to fix that! Any recomendations?

EDIT: I have already posted some info about it in this thread/post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...59&postcount=9.

P.S. soundcheck, thank you for your efforts.
    Perhaps you check first which soundchip/codec is used. I guess it is a Realtek ALC885/889A.
    In the past there have been some issues with the codec. People had to patch the sound-drivers.

You can run the uxchecker.sh script. The log will tell you quite a lot about your setup.

A soundcard should - with all its features - function properly, if the correct model-id "model=XXXX" is assigned
    to your driver.

In the uxchecker.log under "Codec" you find the ID for your device listed. Which is then probably ALC885

Within /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/alsa-kernel/Documentation/ALSA-Configuration.txt you'll find a "macpro"
    model-id for this codec.

Now you need to edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and add the model: snd-hda-intel index=0 mode=macpro

Reboot afterwards.

See also here.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

If all this is not working a chat with the Alsa guys wouldn't be a bad idea.

Good luck
    Last edited by soundcheck; November 15th, 2008 at 03:47 PM.

Beans

First off I would like to thank soundcheck for this great script.
    I was initially having trouble setting all this up the way they explained it on www.alsa-project.org (for my razer ac-1). Alsa-utils-1.0.18 would always fail on compile. The only difference was they said to use arguments for the compile of alsa-driver.

So everything installed awesome on a fresh Ubuntu Intrepid. The only problem I am having is I have no sound coming out of my center speaker (5.1 setup) in any program I try (be it VLC or Amarok).

Is there possibly something I am missing? I am new to sound in Linux as I have never really used one as a desktop before.

I have kubuntu-resticted-extras installed, medibuntu repos, etc.
    My VLC is set to "output module" Alsa (C-Media CMI8788(multichannel-hw:2,0)).

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Welcome back soundcheck, any idea how I could get sound from my center speaker? everything else sounds great. uxchecker log is on page 3.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    Perhaps you check first which soundchip/codec is used. I guess it is a Realtek ALC885/889A.
    In the past there have been some issues with the codec. People had to patch the sound-drivers.

You can run the uxchecker.sh script. The log will tell you quite a lot about your setup.

A soundcard should - with all its features - function properly, if the correct model-id "model=XXXX" is assigned
    to your driver.

In the uxchecker.log under "Codec" you find the ID for your device listed. Which is then probably ALC885

Within /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/alsa-kernel/Documentation/ALSA-Configuration.txt you'll find a "macpro"
    model-id for this codec.

Now you need to edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and add the model: snd-hda-intel index=0 mode=macpro

Reboot afterwards.

See also here.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

If all this is not working a chat with the Alsa guys wouldn't be a bad idea.

Good luck
    soundcheck,
    thank you for the support. Just some quick-feedback:

Code:
    cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec

Codec: Realtek ALC889A
    This chip/Codec does not exist in the file ALSA-Configuration.txt.

Now, according to other MB(P)5,1 users [1][2] which got their sound work using the line
    Code:
    options snd_hda_intel model=mbp3
    in the file /etc/modprobe.d/options, I also use this setting. But this model referes to the chip/Codec ALC882/885.

I have found some post on the web[3] concerning the ALC889A chip but it will take me some time till I get into it and understand the patche that is being discussed. And maybe it's irrelevant with my hardware.

Or not even necessary!? I have sound but it's Mono. I thought that setting this in some configuration file would be easy but, I guess, it's more complex.

Tha strange thing is that before the installation of the new alsa-drivers, I had 3 Input Sources fields under the Options Tab in alsamixer and now they are gone.

Regards, Nikos

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook Aluminum
    [2] http://ph.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=971236
    [3] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list.../kernel/904495

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey45 View Post
    I've tried using this script but the driver is failing to compile. Can anyone help?

I'm running Mythbuntu 8.04 kernel 2.6.24-16-generic

My compile error:

Code:
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a  CPP="gcc -E" CC="gcc" modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
      CC [M]  /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/hrtimer.o
    In file included from /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/hrtimer.c:2:
    /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/../alsa-kernel/core/hrtimer.c: In function âsnd_hrtimer_callbackâ:
    /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/../alsa-kernel/core/hrtimer.c:29: error: implicit declaration of function âhrtimer_forward_nowâ
    make[3]: *** [/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/hrtimer.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-driver-1.0.18a] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
    make: *** [compile] Error 2
    I got this as well. Anyone have an idea what's missing/wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I had no sound at all after upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10. I did instalation from the guide but problem is still here. No sound from any application nor the system "beeps". Only sound is its a short "crack" at system startup (like sound heard when you turn on your speakers).

Testing sound with aplay gave this:

kowic@Strangedevice:/$ aplay -Dplughw:0,0 -fcd /mnt/Lovrajder.wav
    aplay: main:590: audio open error: Device or resource busy

Attached logfile from uxchecker should contain required system info.

thanks for any suggestions
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast