Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from 8.4.1 to 8.10

Beans

Upgrading from 8.4.1 to 8.10

I've never done a release upgrade before. I want to upgrade tomorrow and am wondering what sort of problems I might expect. If I've hand edited configuration files, such as to get my Acer Aspire one wifi working, will they be overwritten with new ones, or left untouched. If the latter, what if configuration files need to be updated for 8.10 apps/features to work.

I have two installations - the Acer one, and my main desktop PC. The latter is a regular PC without wifi. I've upgraded some of the apps on it, such as OpenOffice and VLC. Should I uninstall apps in preparation, or should I leave them?

Perhaps I worry too much, but I'm used to Windows, and in the past I've just wiped out the OS and installed the new one from scratch, but Linux seems to be much smoother in terms of installation/upgrades so I thought I'd give the regular updater a chance first.

Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Upgrading from 8.4.1 to 8.10

Actually,it's recommended to do a clean install rather than do a distribution upgrade.If you have a separate /home partition,your personal settings shall be saved,but any editing of config files(may / may not be required in the new version,after all the kernel is new and might support your Wifi etc out of the box),if required,will have to be redone.This is true whether you clean install or allow the updater to do it's job.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Wink Re: Upgrading from 8.4.1 to 8.10

Quote Originally Posted by poldie View Post
    I've never done a release upgrade before. I want to upgrade tomorrow and am wondering what sort of problems I might expect. If I've hand edited configuration files, such as to get my Acer Aspire one wifi working, will they be overwritten with new ones, or left untouched. If the latter, what if configuration files need to be updated for 8.10 apps/features to work.

I have two installations - the Acer one, and my main desktop PC. The latter is a regular PC without wifi. I've upgraded some of the apps on it, such as OpenOffice and VLC. Should I uninstall apps in preparation, or should I leave them?

Perhaps I worry too much, but I'm used to Windows, and in the past I've just wiped out the OS and installed the new one from scratch, but Linux seems to be much smoother in terms of installation/upgrades so I thought I'd give the regular updater a chance first.

Thanks for any help.
    Hi. I'm also upgrading to 8.10 from 8.04.1 tomorrow, with an Acer Aspire T660 Desktop. I've never upgraded before either, I'm a newbie to Linux. However, I don't think the upgrading of OpenOffice should do any harm. Your WiFi should be left alone, ifact, everything should be left alone, like your files, folders.

If your WiFi don't work, could you please tell us your specs? I think it might take a day or two for the upgrading of apps, but some of them should remain untouched.
    IF IVE SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM DON'T FORGET TO MARK AS SOLVED
    Enter your tips to my new tip guide! Out 2009!
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=959433

Beans

I had hardly any issue with updating to Ibex, to update press ALT + F2 and enter

Code:
    update-manager -d
    Then you should see the option for dist upgrade

Beans
    Hidden!

Upgrades are actually pretty solid with Ubuntu. You may not get all the new features (correct me if I'm wrong), but you'll still get all the newer versions of your installed packages.. However, I wouldn't recommended upgrading tomorrow, though, as a) the servers will probably be insanely busy (depending on your mirror, of course) and b) it's better to wait at least one week for the heavier bugs to get worked out, at least in my experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

tuxxy:
    Do you have the same configuration as the OP?

Before upgrading or clean installing, back up your data. There are no guarantees that all will go well.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I would do a clean install, and would wait until next week to actually upgrade. If you are on hardy heron, go to the software sources, click on the update tab, under release upgrades make sure "normal releases" shows.

Then when you do a release update, you will be able to recognize the update.

I have to say though, the Intrepid Ibex release candidate, is working fine for me at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Before upgrading or clean installing, back up your data. There are no guarantees that all will go well.
    Sef makes a good point- do back up your data-especially your customized configuration data.
    Last edited by Jammy4041; October 29th, 2008 at 03:41 PM.
    James (Registered Ubuntu User #19236)

iMac G3 350Mhz Summer 2000, running Debian Squeeze
    Compaq Presario
    M2000 running Ubuntu Jaunty

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meindian523 View Post
    Actually,it's recommended to do a clean install rather than do a distribution upgrade.If you have a separate /home partition,your personal settings shall be saved,but any editing of config files(may / may not be required in the new version,after all the kernel is new and might support your Wifi etc out of the box),if required,will have to be redone.This is true whether you clean install or allow the updater to do it's job.
    Sounds like a good idea. Not sure I remember having /home stored elsewhere was an installation option in Ubuntu 8.4 though. I've had a bit of a google and found this guide:

http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/01/...own-partition/

Does this look like it's something which should work with 8.10? I'd imagine this sort of thing is largely Distro independant, but what would I know? Is there another, better page with similar instructions I should be using?

Also, while I'm posting here, I had a little look at the 64 bit version of 8.4.1, but didn't get anywhere because of problems with the browser (specifically support for flash and java, both of which I need working properly). Is it likely that I'll run into problems with 8.10 64 bit?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mthei View Post
    a) the servers will probably be insanely busy (depending on your mirror, of course)
    Isn't that what torrents are for?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast