Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Belkin USB Wireless Stick F5D7051

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Belkin USB Wireless Stick F5D7051

So when you type 'lsusb' with the device inserted, you get no output at all? That's very strange.

The bit in dmesg about being "unable to enumerate USB device" is interesting. I found this bug report which seems to be related to the issue. It seems to have been introduced in Intrepid. Unfortunately there's no clear answer there, but at least they're aware of it.

It may help to run this command before plugging the device in:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd
    then plug the stick in; does it help?

I think that your problem ultimately has to do with your USB drivers, not your wireless card. Have you had any other trouble with USB devices since upgrading to Intrepid?

Beans

First of all, I'm brand new to Ubuntu so havent really toyed around that much... I also plugged in my Ethernet cable between the 2 runs of previous commands, thats why they might look a bit wierd...

sry, it didnt help either... just wondering why I would have troubles with the drivers when OP's device started working after he installed 8.10 ?

Got any pointers on how to upgrade / install the correct drivers in that case ?

Beans
    Distro

just wondering why I would have troubles with the drivers when OP's device started working after he installed 8.10 ?

Got any pointers on how to upgrade / install the correct drivers in that case ?
    I really think the problem has to do with your USB hub, not the wireless card itself--hence why the original poster's card works fine but not yours (he or she probably has a different motherboard with different USB hubs). Do you know the make and model of your motherboard? And what is the total output of:
    Code:
    lspci
    lshw

Beans

Its a old laptop I'm installing it on so I have no clue of what make or model the motherboard is

But since the system keeps locking down at odd times, I have decided to postpone my unix experience untill my desktop grows old enough to be replaced and fire it up on that one

I thank you for your fast reply's and the effort you put into it..

See you out there...

Beans
    Distro

With the output of 'lshw' and 'lspci -nn' it might be possible to figure out the problem even without knowing the motherboard, although it may not be easy, so I understand if you want to give up on it for now. I do hope you'll come back when you're ready to try Ubuntu on your desktop (or consider dual-booting now...you can install Ubuntu very easily using wubi without even having to partition).

Beans

Sweet! will install it on my desktop straight away, and return with a whole new world of problems

Thanks alot mate.

Beans

Smile Re: Belkin USB Wireless Stick F5D7051

hi my names oli, am im a noob. now with my belkin 54g usb "stick drivers rt2500usb" i was wondering how to get it to have a better connection and to get it to flash like it does on windows xp my dad already did this for his but his is a pci card not usb so i need help

p.s im running ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro

oli1997: does your card work at all? Can you connect to networks but have problems thereafter? If so, please describe more specifically what happens.

The lights on the adapter should also be on if it's working, I would think, although they may not behave the same as they do in Windows. Are there any lights working at all under Ubuntu?

Also, please plug the card in, open up a terminal, run the following command and post the output:
    Code:
    lsusb

Beans

Talking Re: Belkin USB Wireless Stick F5D7051

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0930:6545 Toshiba Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04fc:05d8 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 050d:7050 Belkin Components F5D7050 ver 1000 WiFi
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

kk here are the things you asked for. but on windows the stick flashes when i download or brows but in ubuntu it doesn't i think its rather odd
    Last edited by oli1997; December 29th, 2008 at 01:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro

oli1997: I researched your problem a bit. There are probably some things that we could do to get the light to turn on, but it would involve a substantial amount of work. Unless seeing the light is really important to you, I'd recommend that you just leave well-enough alone, since from what you say it sounds like the device gets you connected to the Internet without a problem, you just don't see any lights.

If you want to see notifications when there's network activity, you could always add the 'Network Monitor' applet to the Gnome panel by right-clicking the panel and selecting 'add to panel'.

That said, if you really want to try to make the light work, let me know and I'll give you instructions on what to try.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast