Thread: MAME issue....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Exclamation MAME issue....

after installing gxmame-common and the front end via package manager i have a problem when coming to load roms..do the roms have to be in the mame/roms/ directory or any one i choose,i notice there is an option to change the path of the roms directory but on doin this there is still no change,of the 5 or so roms ive tried non work and come back with a display error LIRC disabled....any help appreciated,thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: MAME issue....

Try sdlmame instead, not sure if your chosen front-end is supported, but sdlmame is up to date with the official mame, and rocks hard.
    Pears for your heirs
    My GNU/Linux and Emulation blog.
    Resources for the nostalgic emulation enthusiast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

ive installed sdlmame and the sdlmame tools package (not sure if needed but hey?) do i also install the xmame-common package and xmame as the front end?? what front end do you use,im running gnome desktop if that makes a difference..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lee83 View Post
    ive installed sdlmame and the sdlmame tools package (not sure if needed but hey?) do i also install the xmame-common package and xmame as the front end?? what front end do you use,im running gnome desktop if that makes a difference..
    i think you've got a few things confused.

xmame is an emulator, so to speak. it is far outdated and shouldn't be used.

sdlmame is a newer mame emulator (port). use it.

gxmame/kxmame are frontends. gxmame is for use with xmame. kxmame is for use with xmame OR sdlmame.

i recommend kxmame with sdlmame. kxmame has many improvements over gxmame.

but don't install the kxmame package from the ubuntu repos. install doktorseven's kxmame package. (the older package of kxmame in the ubuntu repos is outdated and doesn't support sdlmame).
    Linux User #440528
    openSUSE 12.1 x86_64/KDE 4.8.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

ok i will try that,and yes i am confused,been ubuntu user for about 6 months and still learning

ok i downloaded the package from the d7 website and installed sdlmame via repo but there is no icon in game folder to start app,or is there a bit more to it than just installing those two packages??
    Last edited by Lee83; October 30th, 2008 at 07:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Always get the latest version of sdlmame from here: http://wallyweek.altervista.org/

Change the settings by typing this command on the terminal window: sudo gedit /etc/sdlmame/mame.ini

Run "sdlmame" (it has a built-in rom browser), type the 1st letter of the game you want to play to sort the listing by that letter.

The tab key acts as an in-game menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

ok i got mame to work sorted although the marvel vs capcom i wanted to try didnt have all files but im undeterred,will try a few more i think,thanks for all your help..
    Last edited by Lee83; October 30th, 2008 at 08:12 PM.