Thread: Problems opening files in Office 2007. All I get is a blank doc.

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Problems opening files in Office 2007. All I get is a blank doc.

Hi,

I am brand new to Linux, but have learned a lot about it in the past couple of weeks just from playing around with it. I have successfully installed Microsoft Office 2007 in Ubuntu 8.04 using Wine, except for two problems 1) opening files and 2) saving files.

1) Opening Files
    The first problem I am having is when I try to open a .doc file, from the file manager, a blank document opens up instead of the actual document. I don't know if it does this for Excel or Power Point, but it does for Word. However, if I open the file from within Word, using the open dialog, the file opens with no problems. Meaning, I cannot double click a .doc and open it.

2) Saving Files
    The second problem I am having is I cannot save any files. I am not on the Ubuntu partition, so I cannot tell you the error it gives me. Could this be because I am trying to save to a NTFS partition? I don't think it does, but could be wrong.

I know that I can use Open Office, but I have to be honest. I don't like it. I like Office much better.

I would really like to get these problems solved because I think Ubuntu is pretty cool and would like to use it as my primary OS.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Problems opening files in Office 2007. All I get is a blank doc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtlca401 View Post
    Hi,

I am brand new to Linux, but have learned a lot about it in the past couple of weeks just from playing around with it. I have successfully installed Microsoft Office 2007 in Ubuntu 8.04 using Wine, except for two problems 1) opening files and 2) saving files.

1) Opening Files
    The first problem I am having is when I try to open a .doc file, from the file manager, a blank document opens up instead of the actual document. I don't know if it does this for Excel or Power Point, but it does for Word. However, if I open the file from within Word, using the open dialog, the file opens with no problems. Meaning, I cannot double click a .doc and open it.

2) Saving Files
    The second problem I am having is I cannot save any files. I am not on the Ubuntu partition, so I cannot tell you the error it gives me. Could this be because I am trying to save to a NTFS partition? I don't think it does, but could be wrong.

I know that I can use Open Office, but I have to be honest. I don't like it. I like Office much better.

I would really like to get these problems solved because I think Ubuntu is pretty cool and would like to use it as my primary OS.

Thanks
    (I know this never works, but we have our reasons for using M$ Office, so you are just wasting our time and yours if you post telling us to just use Open Office.)

I am having the same two problems. For the second problem, once you save the file it treats it as read only and won't let you save it again.

As for the first problem, there is a thread on it http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=915077 but I have not tried the suggested solutions.

Would really appreciate any help with the first problem.