Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Too many stickies

Beans

Re: Too many stickies

Quote Originally Posted by koenn View Post
    Christmas is a Christian holiday superimposed over pagan celebrations of the winter stolstice, in particular
    the celebration of Sol Invictus during the Roman Empire
    the Yule celebrations in Germanic Europe
    Rather than extinguishing local festivities, the Church was for all people and didn't try to do culture changes. This results in diversity and a lot of history behind events. There are many modern celebrations that have elements of many other cultures in them in the Church. Many of them have been used by people with commercial interest. The worst, I think, is Easter.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think part of the problem is a lack of explicit guidelines as to what constitutes sticky worthiness.

People tend to be of the opinion that any thread worth viewing or any thread making an important point should be a sticky.

I don't agree with that approach at all. I created a thread called Is Ubuntu for You?
    For a while, it was a sticky in the Absolute Beginner section. Eventually, to clean up the clutter of stickies, someone proposed removing it and linking to it in the New? Start here... sticky post instead. I had no problems with that move.

I still think that thread is important for new users to read and still relevant after several years of it existing. But it should not be stickied.

There are too many important threads that "everyone should read" for them all to be stickied. If people want to create lists of "These are the top 50 threads everyone should read," then create that list. But we are not going to sticky 50 threads.

I don't think we should even sticky 3-6 threads. The more stickies you have, the less impact they each have. Not to mention that they just get annoying if you have to keep scrolling over them to get to the real content.

I think every subforum should have one closed thread stickied at the top that says "Read this first" and has links to all sorts of threads that would be interesting for a new users to read. And then there would be timed stickies of important but time-sensitive announcements (no more than 2, preferably 1 or 0).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Rather than extinguishing local festivities, the Church was for all people and didn't try to do culture changes.
    I think it was more something of a "you will be assimilated, resistance is futile" type of thing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I think part of the problem is a lack of explicit guidelines as to what constitutes sticky worthiness.
    I think so also. To me, a sticky should be useful (not interesting). Index stickies are the best I think, unless something needs to be announced, like the short term forum upgrade information, or changes in policy.

I don't think we should even sticky 3-6 threads. The more stickies you have, the less impact they each have. Not to mention that they just get annoying if you have to keep scrolling over them to get to the real content.

I think every subforum should have one closed thread stickied at the top that says "Read this first" and has links to all sorts of threads that would be interesting for a new users to read. And then there would be timed stickies of important but time-sensitive announcements (no more than 2, preferably 1 or 0).
    +1 With some exceptions. Some forums, like the programming talk, have a lot of useful threads to be included, and an attempt to put them in one resulted in confusion. Either a massive post, or too many levels. (There are two now)

Beans

Wouldn't the Ubuntu Members Ranks sticky in the Community Cafe fit better in the Forum Feedback and Help forum? I've often wondered what it was doing in the Cafe.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think we need one more sticky in Community Cafe Games to remind people not to post gaming issues there.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567