Thread: Music doesn't start to play.

Beans

Music doesn't start to play.

Sometimes after I boot my computer and start music player (whatever which one of them: exaile, movie player, rhythmbox etc...) It loads files and it just doesn't start to play.

I can move "playing" bar, but no result also.

When I reboot everything is usually fine.

Anyway, I was preety much sure that it has something to do with my notebook or something, and for me it was not that big problem, cuz in such a case I was just starting some streaming-flash radio over web.

But I installed ubuntu on my parents machine and music is preety important part of their computer use, and this is thing is happening to them also. And I can't tell my father to reboot all the time, but I don't want to install windows back as well.

Please help.
    Lenovo 3000 N200, nVidia 7300 go, Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty, wi-fi intel 3945

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Music doesn't start to play.

I have this problem also, from time to time, but generally if I'm listening to music and using flash on the internet...

I usually log out and log back in and that works. Try running
    Code:
    $ pulseaudio -k && pulseaudio &
    If it's for your parents you could always (I know this is really hackish but I digress) throw that into something like fix_my_sound.sh and then give them a shortcut on their panel/desktop.

Beans

Thanks for response. Right, it has something with flash, I also think. When I can use flash, then I can't use usual music and vice versa.

GHmmm. I am sure ther is some solution. Hardy is third distro I am using and I didn't have it before some time...

Beans

Unhappy Re: Music doesn't start to play.

Quote Originally Posted by unknownmosquito View Post
    I have this problem also, from time to time, but generally if I'm listening to music and using flash on the internet...

I usually log out and log back in and that works. Try running
    Code:
    $ pulseaudio -k && pulseaudio &
    If it's for your parents you could always (I know this is really hackish but I digress) throw that into something like fix_my_sound.sh and then give them a shortcut on their panel/desktop.
    I tried this line and it didn't do the trick. Thanks for response

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Are you try install the flashplugin-nonfree? I use a 64bit Ubuntu, where I was read is usual see flash errors but in my case I dont have any... Flash works fine with my Firefox...
    Best Regards! / Saludos!
    Mario Lacunza
    Lima - Perú

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by waffen View Post
    Are you try install the flashplugin-nonfree? I use a 64bit Ubuntu, where I was read is usual see flash errors but in my case I dont have any... Flash works fine with my Firefox...
    Thank you for response.
    No, it's not that I am trying to install flash-plugin, actually flash worsk fine. Only sometimes sound stop working or for flash (if I am listening to usual mp3s, for example), or for usual mp3s if I was listening to some music through flash (some internet radio, for example).

And the same happens to my father's computer. Which is worse, cuz he's not geek and I don't want to tell him any time “open terminal, type «sudo» and do something else...” — I want to set everything up and let him just use it. Like home media center. So with this music problem it doesn't seem so good media center