Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Fully Uninstall the ubuntu-desktop meta-package

Beans

Talking Re: HowTo: Fully Uninstall the ubuntu-desktop meta-package

I have followed the method in this thread and it has worked perfectly. Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HowTo: Fully Uninstall the ubuntu-desktop meta-package

Quote Originally Posted by higgins
    I have followed the method in this thread and it has worked perfectly. Thanks

Good to know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBuggie
    and for uninstalling kubuntu
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove adept akode akregator amarok ark arts dbus gtk2-engines-gtk-qt gwenview ivman k3b kaddressbook kaffeine-gstreamer kamera karm katapult kate kaudiocreator kcontrol kcron kde-guidance kde-systemsettings kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdebase-kio-plugins kdebluetooth kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork-filesharing kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-kio-plugins kdepim-wizards kdeprint kdesktop kdm kfind kghostview khelpcenter kicker kio-apt kio-locate klaptopdaemon klipper kmail kmenuedit kmilo kmix knetworkconf knotes konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konserve konsole kontact konversation kooka kopete korganizer kpdf kpf kppp krfb krita kscd ksmserver ksnapshot ksplash ksvg ksysguard ksystemlog kubuntu-default-settings kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts kuser kwalletmanager kwifimanager kwin pmount python-opengl python2.3-opengl python2.4-opengl qca-tls ttf-dejavu vorbis-tools
    I tried this one to completely get rid of KDE and like half of Gnome went along with it. Somehow the system stayed up though and Gnome was fully fixed by an apt-get install ubuntu-desktop, which was a 249MB download.

And for some reason Java, Azureus and totem-xine disappeared at the same time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pmj
    I tried this one to completely get rid of KDE and like half of Gnome went along with it. Somehow the system stayed up though and Gnome was fully fixed by an apt-get install ubuntu-desktop, which was a 249MB download.

And for some reason Java, Azureus and totem-xine disappeared at the same time.
    To uninstall Kubuntu, follow this HowTo. GoldBuggie's post was speculating--it wasn't a real HowTo.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

IIIiiiihhh I thought that was clear...sorry about the trouble.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBuggie
    IIIiiiihhh I thought that was clear...sorry about the trouble.
    It was clear to me when you posted it, but it may not have been to someone else who stumbled upon the thread later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Nah, I was just browsing the forum and stumbled on this thread and thought to myself, why not get rid of the KDE stuff I never use?

I was just letting you know how it went so that nobody else tries it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pmj
    Nah, I was just browsing the forum and stumbled on this thread and thought to myself, why not get rid of the KDE stuff I never use?
    Can you try the real HowTo (i.e., the first post in the thread) and let me know if it doesn't work? If so, please post the entire output of the command and its outcome in the thread--don't just say, "it doesn't work."

I was just letting you know how it went so that nobody else tries it.
    And I'm telling you to use the command in the original post (one which I tried out on a fresh Kubuntu installation), not the one that you quoted from Goldbuggie.

Please read the entire thread and the context of the post you quoted and tried out.

If you're not going to read the entire thread, don't just pick a random post to try out something--go to the first post with the real HowTo instructions.

If you try the instructions from the first post and have problems, let me know.
    Last edited by aysiu; December 15th, 2005 at 07:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

/me has used his undo button

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

This was a really good idea for a HOWTO, aysiu!

How many readers have found it helpful?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast