Thread: Installing Ubuntu on machine with 2 HD

Beans

Installing Ubuntu on machine with 2 HD

Hi,

I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 on a machine with 2 x 80GB hard disks. I accepted all the default options and it has formatted and installed Ubuntu on one disk and left the other disk completely alone. I would like to use the second hard disk but I am not sure how to do this. Can anyone advise which tools are used for this?

Also what would be a good layout? Should I move the swap and/or home directories onto the other disk? If so, how?

TIA, M.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Installing Ubuntu on machine with 2 HD

I use Gparted (Gnome partition editor) http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ to partition my disks and move the partitions when I need. Make sure you backup important data first though!

I've got two drives - I have root and /home on one, /swap and backup on the other.

I have Gparted on a liveCD - I boot from gparted Cd when I want to move partitions, so my system isn't running when I do it. The tutorials on the gparted documentation page are good.

Beans

Question Re: Installing Ubuntu on machine with 2 HD

Thanks. I have done this. However it mounts it in a hidden directory under my home directory. How can I get it to mount somewhere else so it is accessible to all users?

Thanks.