Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grub Error 22 - How's this make sense?

Beans

Grub Error 22 - How's this make sense?

I have 4 drives in my computer. All SATA. Drive A houses Vista/Ubuntu and the other 3 drives are simply backups.

I was in Vista playing a game when Vista crashed. I couldn't even CTRL ALT DEL so I just powered off and back on. Then I got Grub Error 22. So I rebooted. Grub Error 22. Hmm?? I reboot and check out BIOS and I only see 3 drives. My main drive was missing, which is where Vista/Ubuntu are. The other 3 drives are simply formatted with a single partition of EXT3 and house backup data. That's all they do.

I unplugged the other 3 drives and left my main drive plugged in and I was able to boot. So then I powered down and plugged in my other 3 drives and powered on. Then all 4 plugged in were fine and here I am on Ubuntu again.

But I have a few questions.

1 - What could Vista do that would cause my hard drive to disappear from BIOS? Is this a sign of Vista being Vista or a sign of potential hardware failure? The drive works perfectly fine otherwise.

2 - Why do I get a Grub Error 22? I mean, think about it... if the boot loader is on Drive A, yet Drive A is not seen, how does my system even know Grub exists to give me a Grub Error? Is it due to the fact my other 3 drives are in /etc/fstab and fstab is able to detect, oh, Linux partitions, unable to boot... BAM Grub Error? Or what?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Grub Error 22 - How's this make sense?

Quite interesting...

I'd make sure my backups were up to date.
    You do not want an invalid magic cookie.

Beans

The backups are basically rsync scripts and with the help of crontab, the backup script runs at 3:30AM and 3:30PM, so I know my data is recent, plus I have DVD backups of my pictures which is the most crucial thing to me.

It's just a question of why my rig is running the way it is. The only time it acts up is when Vista FUBAR's like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Why do I get a Grub Error 22? I mean, think about it... if the boot loader is on Drive A, yet Drive A is not seen, how does my system even know Grub exists to give me a Grub Error? Is it due to the fact my other 3 drives are in /etc/fstab and fstab is able to detect, oh, Linux partitions, unable to boot... BAM Grub Error? Or what?
    Couple of possibilities

1) Bios can be funny. Maybe the Bios didn't correctly detect your main drive, but still tried to boot from it, say after trying unsuccessfully to boot from the other drives.

2) Grub is not only installed to the MBR of your main drive, but also in one of your storage drive.

You can verify 2) with the boot info script:https://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Download the script to your desktop and run it with

Code:
    sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh
    That will create the file "RESULTS.txt" on your desktop. The first few line of the file will tell you where Grub is installed. If you need help interpreting the file, post it here (make sure to use the code tags).

Beans

I always had problems with Ubuntu when I installed it with other drives present. If I had 4 drives in my computer, and installed Ubuntu on drive A, but then drive C later died, I wouldn't be able to boot my system, which I found to be completely stupid that because a backup drive with no operating system died I was still getting a grub error.

As a result, all of my installs are done with all drives unplugged except the main one the OS goes on. So when I did my install, all 3 backup drives were unplugged except the main one. Then after the install is done, I find the UUID of each drive and add it to /etc/fstab accordingly.

Having this as part of the equation, I'm not seeing how grub was installed on any of the other drives unless it happened after I mounted the drives when my main drive with the OS was running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My question is... if you have 4 drives.. why the heck are windows and linux sharing one, as opposed to having their own?
    i mean.. the base vista(without SP1) install is 14.3GB, without installing anything...not to mention it would have prevented this problem and you'd have only had to reinstall windows,

Beans

Because of the way I have things set up. For one, I find it easier to keep Windows + Linux on one drive personally.

A - 500gb
    B - 500gb
    C - 250gb
    D - 250gb

A = Vista (60gb partition) + Ubuntu
    B = Rsync'd copy of Ubuntu's home directory.

Drives C and D are completely different. Drive C is a samba network drive for the other computers in the house, and D rsyncs drive C. So even though I have 4 drives in my computer, only 2 of them are used for storage by me personally... in which, of those 2 drives, 1 is a backup, so I only work off of 1 drive at any given time. The rest are strictly backups for designated purposes.

Also - I used to run XP/Ubuntu on separate drives, but I always ran into issues that was a pain in the ***. Granted, those were IDE drives with jumpers and whatnot, so that may have been an issue, but I just find it easier to deal with operating systems on 1 drive, so I've always kept it like that. I really don't see any advantage in having separate drives for separate operating systems, because whether or not I have Vista on my main drive or a separate drive, I've still had Grub crap out on me if something happened to my windows install.

And to your comment about "only having to reinstall windows", I'm not seeing what this means. You can reinstall Windows, not install Ubuntu, and tweak grub accordingly. So that really has no bearing in this case.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Having them on separate drives lets you install each system at the front of a drive, therefore increasing performance in accordance to the way non-SSD drives are designed.
    You do not want an invalid magic cookie.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If I had 4 drives in my computer, and installed Ubuntu on drive A, but then drive C later died, I wouldn't be able to boot my system, which I found to be completely stupid that because a backup drive with no operating system died I was still getting a grub error.

You can avoid this problem by installing grub to the MBR of the Ubuntu drive and set your bios to boot from the ubuntu drive.(you don't need to unplug the other drives)

Also this isn't really a big problem, since it's fairly easy to reinstall Grub from the LiveCD . (Or you could get SuperGrub and reinstall Grub in no time)

As a result, all of my installs are done with all drives unplugged except the main one the OS goes on. So when I did my install, all 3 backup drives were unplugged except the main one. Then after the install is done, I find the UUID of each drive and add it to /etc/fstab accordingly.

Having this as part of the equation, I'm not seeing how grub was installed on any of the other drives
    "As a result": This makes it sounds like at some earlier point in time you installed Ubuntu with the storages drives plugged in. And if grub ever got installed to the MBR of one of the storage drive, it mostly likely is still on that MBR.

Anyway, just run the boot info script and you will know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

And to your comment about "only having to reinstall windows", I'm not seeing what this means. You can reinstall Windows, not install Ubuntu, and tweak grub accordingly. So that really has no bearing in this case.
    actually that was kinda the point of having them seperate.. wouldn't have to tweak grub at all. just unplug the linux drive install windows on the second, and just install grub on the linux drive and simply change the boot priority back to the linux drive after windows was replaced. don't know if its just me but whenever windows goes out like that on my mom's computer.. it has a habbit of taking out the boot sector with it. this just makes it less of a headache IMO.

Also for futher clarification: i dual boot with my windows install on my secondary drive ubuntu on the main. also... what codeseer mentioned is a nice little bonus too.
    Last edited by sir_cheats_a_lot; April 20th, 2009 at 06:21 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast