Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live CD works, login screen works, then video freezes and hangs (please help!)

Beans

Re: Live CD works, login screen works, then video freezes and hangs (please help!)

I don't think a Virtual Box is a good test though, since it uses emulated hardware and not your real hardware, so the results would be completely different. Try booting the Fedora 10 Live CD and see what happens.
    I agree. I just wanted to see if it would install. Usually the first advice I've seen given is to check to make sure the .iso download isn't corrupt. Installing on Virtual Box was a way to double check the disk's validity.

I'm positive it's some type of hardware incompatibility.

Beans

Re: Live CD works, login screen works, then video freezes and hangs (please help!)

I think this issue may have been fixed, in some recent ubuntu 8.10 updates. Was still running ubuntu 8.04 with xfce, and did the 8.10 upgrade (was bored) with full updates and it went through without a hitch. No lock-up at the login screen, no lost devices. I suppose I'd have to try a fresh install to find out for sure, but everything seems to be working (except wireless, which doesn't surprise me because it was always tricky to get working.)

Beans

Great to hear. I think I'm going to wait until Jaunty is released for my next fresh install.

Beans

Guess I spoke a bit too soon. In my excitement, decided to try a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 with all updates, and still getting the exact same problems. Freezing with "processing" mouse cursor before login screen, or after removing compiz, no input devices.

Weird that something about installing Ubuntu 7.04, installing XFCE, and then updating to 8.10 through XFCE worked... gnome even worked at that point... wish I had wrote down everything I had done.

Beans

Made an interesting discovery...

For some reason, I was suspecting something was up with my wireless network card, so I took it out, and all problems went away... was able to boot up without the system freezing, or losing input devices. It's an rtl8185 that was in the other system as well, which worked fine.

Though, I went and changed the placement of my pci cards (has network card and this rtl8185 in the last 2 slots) and now it's working, WITH the rtl8185 in again, but it's not detecting it for wireless internet... so it could have been an IRQ issue or something all along? Still trying to figure it out now.

Just in:
    Network Manager 0.7
    Xubuntu 8.10 ships Network Manager 0.7 (by Dan Williams and others), which comes with long-expected features, such as:
    * system wide settings (i.e., no need to log in in order to get a connection)

Locks up before the login screen, maybe right about when it's trying to detect the network settings? I had removed the Network Manager and was using something else, so more than likely it was a conflict with my card/IRQ and the network manager, that was one of the new features in Ubuntu since 8.10. Maybe as a suggestion to anyone having this problem, try removing it and using a different network manager like "wicd" to test.
    Last edited by gukid; February 14th, 2009 at 01:37 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12