Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Switching from Ubuntu to..... Mandriva?

Beans

Re: Switching from Ubuntu to..... Mandriva?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    why? mandriva does gnome very well.

Sorry, I should have said that "if you prefer the Gnome desktop you should ALSO try Fedora".

I know that a lot of people use Gnome on Mandriva but for me I think it is more of a KDE distro. I have always thought that certain distros seem to be 'more comfortable' with certain desktops. For example I think that Ubuntu is very much a Gnome oriented distro. I have used it with KDE but it never seemed as good.

Beans

yesterday i installed mandriva on my laptop, which is now up and running. after getting a very annoying grub error 2 i managed to get it going. it just seems my system is running slower than before, which is definitely something i did not want.

it was nice how everyhting worked right away but that does not measure against the general slowness its experiencing now. especially with transmission running it excrutiatingly slow.... which it wasnt before.

so i guess i might be switching back to ubuntu (the new one?) quite soon....

or maybe i'll give debian a shot. i do thin i want to stick to gnome.
    well thanks for all your help, any more suggestions are of course always welcome!!!!

Beans

maybe mandriva is slower because i decided to stick with gnome...

Beans

It's hard to know exactly what you mean - "it's slow" isn't a very helpful description

What's slow, exactly? Network transfers are slow? Opening apps is slow? Response is slow?

Is the hard disk getting thrashed? Have you looked at a process monitor to see if something's using a lot of CPU time or RAM?

FWIW, I use GNOME and always have.
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans

It's hard to know exactly what you mean - "it's slow" isn't a very helpful description

What's slow, exactly? Network transfers are slow? Opening apps is slow? Response is slow?

Is the hard disk getting thrashed? Have you looked at a process monitor to see if something's using a lot of CPU time or RAM?

FWIW, I use GNOME and always have.
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans

yes sorry for that rather vague description. applications take some time to respond, for instance starting firefox can take up to 30 second also closing it can be a drag. i have capped the upload rate on transmission (which i think was the problem) and that has helped a bit. but i have discovered that my laptop doesnt shut down. when i press 'shut down' from the menu it does nothing. so its been in suspend at night....

anyways although i like the system i just don't think its for me. if i have some time on my hands i think i might try some more advanced distros but i think untill then i'll revert back to ubuntu....

Beans
    Distro
    Fluxbuntu

Between Ubuntu and Mandriva, I would choose Ubuntu.
    And every wise person would do the same.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rakris View Post
    I think it is partly down to personal choice and partly how well your hardware works from scratch with a particular distro.

Ubuntu is certainly very good but personally I think Mandriva is better. Ubuntu just seems a little dull and old fashioned compared with Mandriva.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rakris View Post
    very wise comment.
    You mean to choose a distro has nothing to do with taste?
    You mean there is no computer were distro A works great but distro B doesn`t?

Maybe you want to add why ubuntu is that better than mandriva, that would be very interesting for unwise people like me.

Thanks,
    TeaAge

Beans
    Distro
    Fluxbuntu

Yes its a personal choice.
    To complete the sentence i added "wise persons".

But last time i checked, mandriva's package manager was bad.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast