Thread: How can I uninstall a program I installed using a .deb package?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

How can I uninstall a program I installed using a .deb package?

I installed Wah!Cade, a frontend for the MAME arcade emulator...it turns out it's useless since it doesn't let me setup any video, audio options etc etc...

The thing is I want to know how can I remove it? as I said, I didn't install it through Adept/Sypnaptic, I used a .deb package I downloaded. Is there a way to do this at all? I've been using Linux for a year and half and I stopped installing from .deb or compiling for this same reason, there doesn't seem to be anyway to uninstall programs and I can't believe it hasn't been implemented in Linux yet or at least Ubuntu/Kubuntu alone.
    What? you think the world goverments, media, history and science books tell you everything there is to know about this world and the Universe? THINK AGAIN! WAKE UP!

http://www.projectcamelot.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How can I uninstall a program I installed using a .deb package?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonfrost View Post
    I installed Wah!Cade, a frontend for the MAME arcade emulator...it turns out it's useless since it doesn't let me setup any video, audio options etc etc...

The thing is I want to know how can I remove it? as I said, I didn't install it through Adept/Sypnaptic, I used a .deb package I downloaded. Is there a way to do this at all? I've been using Linux for a year and half and I stopped installing from .deb or compiling for this same reason, there doesn't seem to be anyway to uninstall programs and I can't believe it hasn't been implemented in Linux yet or at least Ubuntu/Kubuntu alone.
    Does
    Code:
    apt-get purge {name of package}
    do anything? I've not tried it on .deb files...
    LizBeth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Code:
    sudo dpkg -r wahcade

try
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -r packagename
    from
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=269296

or google it, search: ubuntu unistall deb package

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You uninstall it the same way you uninstall packages installed from the repositories. Synaptic, apt-get, dpkg ... whichever you prefer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Okay, I fee embarrassed by not trying sudo apt-get remove before...I have tried it before on other Ubuntu versions and it NEVER worked, and somebody I think it was in this same forum told me that apt-get could only remove packages that were installed using either apt-get, adept or synaptic.

EDIT: I forgot to say that that worked and thanks!
    What? you think the world goverments, media, history and science books tell you everything there is to know about this world and the Universe? THINK AGAIN! WAKE UP!

http://www.projectcamelot.org/