Thread: HOWTO: Far Cry 2

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

HOWTO: Far Cry 2

HowTo: Far Cry 2

The installation went smooth. I just loaded up Far Cry 2 within the explorer "wine explorer /desktop=..." (wine explorer /desktop=Far_Cry_2,1440x900 setup.exe) and I did not install PunkBuster or Desktop Shortcut. The game may work with PunkBuster and Desktop shortcut, but I haven't tested that and I wanted to make sure the installation and the basics of the game worked first.

Then I loaded up the game, (wine explorer /desktop=Far_Cry_2,1440x900 /home/USR/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Ubisoft/Far\ Cry\ 2/bin/FarCry2.exe) and I got a few errors about missing dlls. And those are: d3dx9_38, gdiplus, iphlpapi, psapim, and xinput1_3. So I applied them to them to the bin folder and I also applied a No-CD Patch because of SecuROM. But After that, I loaded up Far Cry 2 again and it worked.

Shorten Version:

Code:
    cd /media/cdrom0/ && wine explorer /desktop=DEFAULT,1440x900 setup.exe
    Untick PunkBuster and Desktop Shortcut
    use default installation path "Program Files/Ubisoft/Far Cry 2/"
    Finish

After installation, use the dll files I uploaded within this thread "FarCry2.HOWTO.TheDLLp1.tar.gz" & "FarCry2.HOWTO.TheDLLp2.tar.gz".
    and extracted them to the bin folder:

Code:
    cd /home/USR/Desktop/
    tar xvf FarCry2.HOWTO.TheDLLsp1.tar.gz && tar xvf FarCry2.HOWTO.TheDLLsp2.tar.gz
    wget http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/d3dx9_38.zip?0VEgWFWDkS
    Extract the dll file form "d3dx9_38.zip?0VEgWFWDkS" to the "TheDlls" folder
    Code:
    cd TheDLLs && mv * /home/USR/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\Ubisoft/Far\ Cry\ 2/bin\
    Load the Game:
    Code:
    cd /home/USR/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Ubisoft/Far\ Cry\ 2/bin && wine explorer /desktop=Far_Cry_2,1440x900 FarCry2.exe
    TWEAKS:
    Within the Regedit:
    wine regedit
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
    "UseGLSL"="enabled"

Enjoy

Troubleshooting:
    - FarCry2.exe
    Make sure you are loading FarCry2.exe not the FC2Launcher, because the launcher isn't working at the moment.
    - Video Drivers are too old
    I get this error "Your Video Drivers are too old..." when loading FarCry2.exe. I hit OK and it loads the game. I am unsure on how to fix this yet.

PS: I will continue to update this thread to fix any issues and slowness with the Game.

Spec:
    Nvidia Card - 7700 GO
    Wine 1.1.4 (Not Compiled)
    Ubuntu Hardy Heron
    Gnome i386

As always,
    Enjoy
    Sugi
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sugi; October 27th, 2008 at 05:45 PM.
    WINE: Super Meat Boy // Far Cry 2 // Lineage 2
    VirtualBox: Snapshots // OSE Issues
    アンディモリを聞いてください。

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Far Cry 2

Nice! thank you for this guide! Hope i get the game with the mail on monday.

Beans

Hmm, doesn't seem to work for me. This is what I get:

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x90f6a8,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 53 (SPI_SETTOGGLEKEYS)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 51 (SPI_SETFILTERKEYS)
    fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
    fixme:dxgi:CreateDXGIFactory riid {7b7166ec-21c7-44ae-b21a-c9ae321ae369}, factory 0x90f4bc partial stub!
    fixme:dxgi:dxgi_factory_EnumAdapters iface 0x1bd6a8, adapter_idx 0, adapter 0x90f4d4 stub!

Which says nothing to me, but maybe someone can translate?

Beans
    Distro

LokeTheDog, are you running FarCry2.exe or FC2Laucher.exe? Because I couldn't get the Launcher working for some reason. Make sure you got your Video drivers updated and have those dlls in your bin folder. I am using a Nvidia Card 7700 GO. ATI cards are a pain in the butt to get working with Linux and Wine (at least for me and a lot of other people.) Be sides from that, are you using a correct version and working copy of a No-CD patch?

Also, does anyone know how to enable frames per second within the game? console key (~) comes up, but I don't know the command for enable FPS.
    アンディモリを聞いてください。

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sugi View Post
    LokeTheDog, are you running FarCry2.exe or FC2Laucher.exe? Because I couldn't get the Launcher working for some reason. Make sure you got your Video drivers updated and have those dlls in your bin folder. I am using a Nvidia Card 7700 GO. ATI cards are a pain in the butt to get working with Linux and Wine (at least for me and a lot of other people.) Be sides from that, are you using a correct version and working copy of a No-CD patch?

Also, does anyone know how to enable frames per second within the game? console key (~) comes up, but I don't know the command for enable FPS.
    I am using a cracked (razor 1911) FarCry2.exe, I've got the files in the right places, I'm using Nvidia 8800 GT (later edition). I think I've got the latest drivers, not sure how to check that.

Beans

anybody knows why i cannot download the tarballs? Have the game, would like to try on openSUSE

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LokeTheDog View Post
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x90f6a8,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 53 (SPI_SETTOGGLEKEYS)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 51 (SPI_SETFILTERKEYS)
    fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
    fixme:dxgi:CreateDXGIFactory riid {7b7166ec-21c7-44ae-b21a-c9ae321ae369}, factory 0x90f4bc partial stub!
    fixme:dxgi:dxgi_factory_EnumAdapters iface 0x1bd6a8, adapter_idx 0, adapter 0x90f4d4 stub!

Quote Originally Posted by LokeTheDog View Post
    I am using a cracked (razor 1911) FarCry2.exe, I've got the files in the right places, I'm using Nvidia 8800 GT (later edition). I think I've got the latest drivers, not sure how to check that.
    Exact same setup here, and the exact same error. What no cd patch are you using Sugi? And how did you get past this LokeTheDog?
    Last edited by rlhawk; October 31st, 2008 at 07:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

thx for the info, just wondering how is the gameplay working? like does it run smoothly or are their problems with it?

Beans
    Distro

relaxedcrazyman, it's kinda slow, but it's maybe my specs. I am unsure. i am working on some kind of fix or workaround. nice -20 could help, but it's just a crappy workaround. I am working on the some regedits right now.

for nvidia user try the following:
    OffscreenRenderingMode = fbo
    DirectDrawRenderer = opengl
    VideoMemorySize = 512
    Let me know if it helps or makes it worse. I am currently using OffscreenRenderingMode = fbo but It doesn't seem help much.

Please, if anyone knows how to enable FPS within the game Far Cry 2. Let me know, I can test my FPS before.
    アンディモリを聞いてください。

Beans

Thanks for all the files, trying with Crossover on Osx, but alas, it ends with:
    Code:
    wine: Call from 0x102e26df to unimplemented function iphlpapi.dll.IcmpCreateFile, aborting
    Thanks for the Howto though.