Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB

Beans

Re: Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB

Quote Originally Posted by sabujakash View Post
    Can somebody confirm it the six channel audio works in fine in 10.04 ? I am planning to buy one 5.1 usb soundcard for my laptop.
    Or if somebody else can suggest someother 5.1 usb sound card where 6 channel audio would work flawlessly that would be also of great help.
    Thanks...
    yes it finally works with VLC.

In Sound Preferences, select "Analog Stereo Duplex" (don't ask why!)
    In VLC preferences, select "All" in "Show Settings" and go to audio options
    Enable "Use S/PDIF when available"
    Set "Force Detection of Dolby Surround" to "Off" (should be standard)
    In "Output Modules", select ALSA
    In the "ALSA" tree node, I selected "SB X-Fi Surround 5.1: USB Audio #1 (hw:1,1)"

Beans

Has anybody got LIRC working with this USB sound device?

Beans

I have the volume knob working fine with Lirc. This is how you can get it working. http://mndar.phpnet.us/usbxfi/
    I don't have a remote. Can you check if the remote works with the changes given there.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB

I just bought a Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB and can't get 5.1 work. I followed the instructions of ceminino and also created a .asoundrc in my home directory as described here. After Logout/Login it is still stereo when I choose Alsa in VLC and audio doesn't work via Pulseaudio at all. I don't want to remove Pulseaudio completely, because I don't want to mess up the settings with my internal stereo audio card. Any suggestions?

Edit: Seems like everything works correctly if the card is plugged in when booting the computer.

Edit2: I just tried to get my volume knob and the remote working. I followed mndar's howto but when I run irw and turn the knob or press any buttons on the remote, I see no codes at all. Does this maybe have something to do with having know mixer for the device in alsamixer (at least it is listed there)? Would be cool, if you (mndar) or anyone else could help me here.

Edit3: syslog says "cannot open hw:S51: No such file or directory"
    Last edited by Nightwolf; November 4th, 2010 at 02:03 PM.

Beans

After applying the patch, can you compile alsa-driver-1.0.23 with debug enabled?
    You have to pass "--with-debug=full" to the configure script to do so.

Once its compiled and installed, rmmod all sound modules, reload snd-usb-audio (or just reboot) and check dmesg and /var/log/messages. Turning the volume knob (and probably pressing buttons on the remote) should generate messages like
    ALSA mixer.c:1994: status interrupt: c0 00.

Just to confirm, you used alsa-driver-1.0.23 from http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page , right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf
    Edit3: syslog says "cannot open hw:S51: No such file or directory"
    Run cat /proc/asound/cards
    What does that say?

To confirm that lirc has the alsa_usb driver, run
    lircd --driver=help

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf
    Does this maybe have something to do with having no mixer for the device in alsamixer
    Nope. Its got nothing to do with that.

Which Ubuntu version are you using? With 8.04, I use
    Code:
    ./configure  --with-cards=usb-audio,hda-intel --with-debug=full --with-moddir=/lib/modules/2.6.24-24-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/
    then do make and make install. Make sure you backup /lib/modules/2.6.24-24-generic first.

Also, blacklist the module for your existing sound card in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and comment the line options snd-usb-audio index=-2 in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base so that this card can become your first card.
    Last edited by mndar; November 5th, 2010 at 04:04 PM.

Beans

Thanks for your help. I actually came to the conclusion that I don't really need the remote and the volume knob, so I won't put any more time in this. Sorry that I didn't write this before your post, mndar.

Beans

The latest stable kernel release (2.6.37) from http://www.kernel.org/ has support for both, the volume knob and Power/Status LED
    I tested it and everything works fine.

Edit: alsa-driver-1.0.24 too has these changes but I haven't tested it yet.
    Last edited by mndar; January 31st, 2011 at 04:35 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sabujakash View Post
    Can somebody confirm it the six channel audio works in fine in 10.04 ? I am planning to buy one 5.1 usb soundcard for my laptop.
    Or if somebody else can suggest someother 5.1 usb sound card where 6 channel audio would work flawlessly that would be also of great help.
    Thanks...
    Ubuntu 10.04, kernel version 2.6.34, pulseaudio.

It detects the sound card, works fine for me, UNTIL you turn on skype/vlc/flash browser plugin. At this point it pops whenever something changes on the screen (e.g. desktop change, animations, opening a terminal, and don't even dream about xbmc). I am dying at this point.

If anyone knows how to solve this, I'd be extremely grateful.
    Last edited by axel22; January 19th, 2011 at 06:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mndar View Post
    I have the volume knob working fine with Lirc. This is how you can get it working. http://mndar.phpnet.us/usbxfi/
    I don't have a remote. Can you check if the remote works with the changes given there.
    Since I'm on natty, I already have the proper kernel but I don't know anything about Lirc.

What "Remote control configuration" should I choose when setting up Lirc for the first time?
    Last edited by Forlong; April 29th, 2011 at 11:40 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Forlong View Post
    What "Remote control configuration" should I choose when setting up Lirc for the first time?
    The creative lircd.conf that comes as part of the lirc package works for this volume knob. Its location is /usr/share/lirc/remotes/creative/lircd.conf.alsa_usb

You need to start lircd as root.

However, I am yet to test the volume knob under Natty.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast