Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB

Beans

Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB

I am looking for info to find out if anyone has successfully got this animal working fully, completely.

It seems that the USB box does get recognized and it does work, however, I am interested in finding out if anyone has working the equalizer or any of the other sound functions.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB

Hi. Glad to see this post reporting it works. I just bought one of these (also the USB version) for my awesome Mythbuntu box I'm building.

I'll report my experience getting everything working here once I get it all together (that might be a while since I'm waiting for a hard drive to be delivered).

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This might be good information for anyone interested in getting this device fully functional in Linux: http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-linux-driver

Basically, Creative just released open source drivers and specifications on the hardware under the GPL. So the prospects look good for us to see the full power of this little baby unleashed with Linux in the somewhat near future.

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Which device are you talking about? Creative has chosen the names of its products in a very confusing way. At the bottom of my external Creative USB sound card, which has a X-Fi logo on it, it says "Model No. SB1090". At http://ask.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=ww_english_add,Company={D0F19C16-3B20-4E69-BC69-7F708173173D},VARSET=ws:http://nl.europe.creative.com/,VARSE...com,case=10846 it says

"This list is provided for your convenience for matching product model numbers with product names in case you need to download
    updated drivers, applications, or obtain product information."

And one entry in the list is

Sound Blaster Surround 5.1 SB1090

However, there are no products to be found with this exact name elsewhere on the site. Nor does the model number yield any results, except for the list.

Anyway, the Creative open source driver spoken of above does not work with the USB card (SB1090). A generic snd_usb_audio Linux driver does work and gives stereo through analog and optical outs on the device. No 5.1 surround I think.
    Last edited by Daan; December 21st, 2008 at 03:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

hi guys!
    I also have this USB soundcard...could you tell me how to make it work?
    I haven't managed to do this yet...

Beans

I'm thinking of buying this item. I'll however wait until I'm certain I can get it working with full 5.1.

I'd probably buy any low-cost usb to analog 5.1 device if only I knew that ubuntu was going to support it without too much pain.

Beans

Hey,

I have it working using PulseAudio.
    I used to have distortions and errors with ALSA and OSS, but with PA it runs perfectly so far. I have my sound system connected through the optical out though, can't give any information about surround sound with analogue speakers...

If you have mutliple soundcards and fear PulseAudios configuration files, there are small configuration tools (paconfig for example, I found it somewhere in the forums) that do the job for you. A restart seems to be required, though.

Greetings

Q

Beans

hey i just bought that card, too.
    it does work but not better then my onboard-card!
    i'd like to enjoy the great sound i get when i use windows.
    isnt there a linux driver that can at least enhance the sound? i'd like to use the remote as well but i dont mind if its not working anyway

Beans

I just got this card and can't get it running right in 9.04. I get sound, but I can't control volume through the device/knob. Will the people who got this working elaborate on what they did? This isn't exactly plug and play.

Beans

yea i just got this too, and would like to know if anyone got 5.1 working and how

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast