Thread: [SOLVED] Access Ubuntu share from Windows - permission message

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[SOLVED] Access Ubuntu share from Windows - permission message

I created a folder on the Ubuntu machine that I want to share. I right clicked and chose 'sharing options' and shared the folder. (the app told me that the sharename was too long, even once I shortened it, but it went ahead).

Now I can see the share from a Windows machine. I can see and read files in the share folder. But regardless of whether I try directly, or map a drive, I can't create files or write to existing files. I get the following kind of message 'you need permission to continue this action'

Sorry for creating yet another thread, but every time I build a system it seems that the situation is different and there is never a definitive set of steps to go through to get Windows & Ubuntu network interoperability.

Thanks
    Mike
    Bionic Beaver 18.04, moving to Jammy Jellyfish 22.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Access Ubuntu share from Windows - permission message

make sure the shared folder has 777 permissions. go into the properties of the folder that you're sharing, go into the permissions tab. then, make sure you've selected "create and delete files" for all owner, group, and others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This makes sense on one level. I found that the permissions were only set for owner to create and write, so I changed them.

At another level, I wonder why the permissions should be changed if I'm accessing as the same username and password.

And third - it doesn't work. I got the same error message after changing permissions. I restarted Windows just in case. And I also turned off the share in Ubuntu and turned it back on - in case the share was related to the permissions at the time the share was created.

Beans
    Distro

ok. then something else is going on. bear with me while I try to figure out your scenario. So you're sharing a folder on your Ubuntu box (we'll call it "Public"). when you go to "\\UBUNTUCOMPUTER\Public" from windows explorer, you can read all the files inside "Public." However, you can not write to any of the files in "Public" or create any new files. is this correct?

also, when you go to "\\UBUNTUCOMPUTER\Public" from XP, are you putting in a username and password?

Beans
    Distro

i'm thinking you logging on as guest onto the share from your XP box. please post the output of

Code:
    cat /etc/samba/smb.conf | grep guest
    and
    Code:
    cat /var/lib/samba/usershares/Public
    where Public is the name of the share as seen from the XP box

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not sure what I was doing earlier, and what's changed, but I seem to have it solved now. I got to the point of wondering if I could replicate some of the settings from another Ubuntu box running 7.04 that was working for shares. Then I changed permissions for some new shares.

Code:
    cat /etc/samba/smb.conf | grep guest
    ;   guest account = nobody
    map to guest = bad user
       usershare allow guests = yes
    ;   guest ok = yes
    ;   guest ok = no
       guest ok = no
       guest ok = no
    ;   guest ok = yes
    Code:
    cat /var/lib/samba/usershares/lan_backup
    #VERSION 2
    path=/lan_backup
    comment=
    usershare_acl=S-1-1-0:F
    guest_ok=n
    Sorry for the confusion, thanks for the help!