Thread: vmware-server broken manual installation blocks synaptic package manager

Beans

vmware-server broken manual installation blocks synaptic package manager

hey,
    do you know how to delete broken manual installations in lenny/sid Ubuntu? i am getting pissed cause i cant find anyone around who would know, we tried command line apt-get stuff and aptitude but nothing seems to work.
    The basic problem is that as I try to open the synaptic package manager it comes back with

"An Error Occured,
    E: the package vmware-server needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
    E: Internal error opening cache (1). Please report.
    "

so now I cannot install anything from the repositories...

thx

Beans

Post Re: vmware-server broken manual installation blocks synaptic package manager

If apt crashed you can use the command:
    dpkg --configure -a
    to restore it (from sudo)

I don't know if vmware-server is on default update list. When I want an upgrade on vmware-server I remove old vmware, download latest version from vmware site and I install it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: vmware-server broken manual installation blocks synaptic package manager

Try
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep -i vmware
    Paste the results of that command into a post.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Gergely View Post
    hey,
    do you know how to delete broken manual installations in lenny/sid Ubuntu? i am getting pissed cause i cant find anyone around who would know, we tried command line apt-get stuff and aptitude but nothing seems to work.
    The basic problem is that as I try to open the synaptic package manager it comes back with

"An Error Occured,
    E: the package vmware-server needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
    E: Internal error opening cache (1). Please report.
    "

so now I cannot install anything from the repositories...

thx
    Can you tell us what you did to install it ? Were you following a how to ?

Also you mention "lenny/sid Ubuntu" what are you running exactly ? Is this a so called "mixed system" with multople repos in your sources list ?

With that said, try :

Code:
    sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq vmware-server
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Can you tell us what you did to install it ? Were you following a how to ?

Also you mention "lenny/sid Ubuntu" what are you running exactly ? Is this a so called "mixed system" with multople repos in your sources list ?

With that said, try :

Code:
    sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq vmware-server

But first, you have to remove all the archives (scripts) whose name began with "vmware" in the directory /var/lib/dpkg/info/ or the dpkg will fail with errors. As soon as I removed those files, the package uninstalled.

Beans

Thanx a lot, I finally removed the broken vmware server !!! THanx a million times.