Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem installing ubuntu x64 on GIGABYTE ga-ep45-ds5 motherboard

Beans

Cool instalation problem ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)

Hello im trying to install ubuntu x64 and it seems that im having trouble with sata drivers or something.

motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS5
    processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    RAM: 2gigs of 1066mhz ram

other components are older ones and all worket great with ubuntu, the above ones are recently bought new ones

the error im geting:
    ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
    ata2: softreset failed (device not ready)

I googled on the topic but i dont know witch way to turn.
    Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by eyeJ; October 24th, 2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: changed the title

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: problem installing ubuntu x64 on GIGABYTE ga-ep45-ds5 motherboard

May I ask what version of Ubuntu you are using, or trying to install?
    You should try get a hold of the Intrepid Ibex beta daily build iso.. that one has later hardware support and may just be what you need, should it be a driver issue.

Someone else might be able to supply the link to those image-files..?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shaoline View Post
    May I ask what version of Ubuntu you are using, or trying to install?
    You should try get a hold of the Intrepid Ibex beta daily build iso.. that one has later hardware support and may just be what you need, should it be a driver issue.

Someone else might be able to supply the link to those image-files..?
    Thank you for replying!
    I'l google some for the Ibex iso's
    Im trying to install Ubuntu 8.04

Beans

Lightbulb Solution to installing ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 with GA-EP45-DS5

I found the solution just a few hours ago and im posting it here so that other people with the same motherboard as I (GA-EP45-DS5) can install ubuntu on their systems.

The solution is to disable the second sata II controller that is integrated on the motherboard in the system BIOS.
    To Disable:
    Turn on your computer and press <Delete> to enter BIOS Setup during the POST. In BIOS Setup, go to Integrated Peripherals, ensure that Onboard SATA/IDE Device is disabled (the one on the bottom of the list). press F10 confirm with Y and press Enter. After that put your install cd and now there should be no errors when trying to check the cd or start the live cd hopefully

This should work for all versions of ubuntu that don't support the GIGABYTE SATA2 SATA Controller on the GA-EP45-DS5 motherboard.

U can find more info on the stuff I'm talking about here in your motherboard manual key things to look for are: GIGABYTE SATA2 Controller and Intel ICH10R SATA Controller.

Also make sure that after that all your drives are connected to the yellow sata connectors on the motherboard. You can also use the PATA green connector on the board for your cd or hdd to install ubuntu.

Beans

Exclamation Re: problem installing ubuntu x64 on GIGABYTE ga-ep45-ds5 motherboard

Actualy I have to correct myself: The PATA green connector will not work if you disable the GIGABYTE SATAII controler

Well that's it for now I'll post more info as soon as I figure it out

Beans

Cool Re: Solution to installing ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 with GA-EP45-DS5

Quote Originally Posted by eyeJ View Post
    The solution is to disable the second sata II controller that is integrated on the motherboard in the system BIOS.
    To Disable:
    (..)ensure that Onboard SATA/IDE Device is disabled (the one on the bottom of the list). press F10 confirm with Y and press Enter.
    Of course if your cd/dvd rom is not an IDE device
    Same problem here. Unfortunately i don't have sata cd reader so i wasn't able to test your trick
    I have tried several daily snapshots of 8.10 but it seems like new kernel still can't handle p45 sata chip. The problem is known, many posts found in google but no solution yet... so we have to wait
    BTW, if you will wait longer (during boot) after 7-10min (can't remember exactly) ubuntu will start anyway. (of course installation on hdd will fail - no disks )

Beans

Re: Solution to installing ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 with GA-EP45-DS5

Quote Originally Posted by MisiekBest View Post
    Of course if your cd/dvd rom is not an IDE device
    Same problem here. Unfortunately i don't have sata cd reader so i wasn't able to test your trick
    I have tried several daily snapshots of 8.10 but it seems like new kernel still can't handle p45 sata chip. The problem is known, many posts found in google but no solution yet... so we have to wait
    BTW, if you will wait longer (during boot) after 7-10min (can't remember exactly) ubuntu will start anyway. (of course installation on hdd will fail - no disks )
    To bad you don't have the sata cd drive, I have no other problems after installing ubuntu everything works perfectly.
    Maybe you should just get some sata cd or dvd drive coz they are not expensive these days

I hope the problem gets fixed soon ;D

Beans

Re: Solution to installing ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 with GA-EP45-DS5

Quote Originally Posted by eyeJ View Post
    To bad you don't have the sata cd drive, I have no other problems after installing ubuntu everything works perfectly.
    Maybe you should just get some sata cd or dvd drive coz they are not expensive these days

I hope the problem gets fixed soon ;D
    Yeah, i know Anyway...
    Maybe ill try to install it from network or usb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I am not sure if you figured it out or not, but here are some important points:

* The SATA controllers must be set to EHCI mode (they will not work in IDE mode)
    * Double-check you have the latest bios update. The P45 chipset with 45nm chips requires an updated stepping support for the 2.6.27 kernel to work properly.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Smile Re: problem installing ubuntu x64 on GIGABYTE ga-ep45-ds5 motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by jblackthorne View Post
    I am not sure if you figured it out or not, but here are some important points:

* The SATA controllers must be set to EHCI mode (they will not work in IDE mode)
    * Double-check you have the latest bios update. The P45 chipset with 45nm chips requires an updated stepping support for the 2.6.27 kernel to work properly.

Hope this helps.
    Hmm, i have F11 version, F12 is the latest. Good point. I will try, maybe it will help.

edit
    nope, BIOS@F12 and still same problem

eyeJ:
    Good solution. It works!
    Ive copied Ubuntu (last 8.10 snap) into usb pendrive using this tool: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and istalled it with disabled IDE in BIOS. All is working fine (except dvdrom )
    Thanks!
    Last edited by MisiekBest; November 7th, 2008 at 05:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast