Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu server for our company?

Hybrid View

Beans

Ubuntu server for our company?

Hi there,
    first post so hello everyone!!!

Anyway, we are a small company of 5 architects who are good with computers in terms of cad/3d/photoshop and building/tinkering with machines.....etc but in no way servers.
    Basically at the moment we have 2 nas units which are running on an old version of samba which I believe is not upgradable to v3, an xp machine that shares the plotters/printers. Our email is outsourced to fusemail.com and our website is hosted elsewhere again.

I have 2 machines that are spare, and I'm considering building a file server using something like freenas, but also am considering building an actual ubuntu server but what would the benefits of a server be for us? Our internet is about 7mb down and I think 1mb up, so I don't know if its suitable to host email or net...etc.

Just some initial pointers would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Ubuntu server for our company?

if you want to host your own email you will require a static ip address. Most mailserver will not accept emails coming from a non-static IP.

Beans

you mean static ips on the network, that isn't a problem as we have set that all up with the router.

Without sounding too stupid, presumably a server means that you log into the server when you boot up the workstations, as you would at schools, uni's ....etc. Is this something that you do with ubuntu server?

I think our basic needs are a decent email solution, good file server system, and a vpn solution, again is this something I should look to do with ubuntu instead of forking out for windows server. Obviously exchange server is one of the things we'd love about windows server, but aside from that it seems that ubuntu can do it all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I am thinking about setting up a server just for my home LAN over the christmas break so on the brink of learning more. But one advantage I will mention about an Ubuntu server over a ******* is this: security.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

no, I mean a static public IP

Beans

oh right, yeah we have a static public ip, at least i think so, we have an ftp server for which the router forwards the ftp port to the relevant place, thats right isn't it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

well, a static IP will be given to you by your ISP and it's the public IP the router has. If you don't have a static IP I wouldn't even try to run a mailserver.

Besides, mailservers can also be complicated (well, it just takes somewhile to get used to) or you can use some custom made ones like Zimbra or Citadel.

However, IMHO, the most reliable and useful combination would be GMail Business Hosting - if you don't mind that Google snoops into all your emails ( http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/b...s/details.html ). Having Google Mail and Calendar together with Remember The Milk and the according plubings for Firefox/Thunderbird is quite nice and very straight forward to setup. However if you have confidential emails then I'd not use Google and setup an own mailserver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    if you want to host your own email you will require a static ip address. Most mailserver will not accept emails coming from a non-static IP.
    No need for a static IP... i host email and websites with the help of dyndns.org

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/howto.html

Beans

ok, i now have ebox up and running, and also read up on samba setup which I feel more confident about now (even though ebox will obviously manage this, I like to know how things work). Main question I have at the moment is the desktop I have installed, ubuntu-desktop, which I installed off the installation cd when I installed ubuntu-server. When I start up the machine, do all the server applications still start up and run in the background? When I installed the server minus the gui, I saw all the server apps load up when the machine was booted and I notice with the gui it goes straight into ubuntu-desktop. The only reason I ask is I'm running ebox and I only have the logs and events modules which made me wonder if the other modules were not shown due to the apps not running.

Beans

Server style apps should all be running from boot. If you have apache installed, it be running at startup, same with other similar types of web services or file shares.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast