Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu server for our company?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu server for our company?

I only want a gui so I can set everything up, Ideally I'd like to setup everything in the gui and then close down the gui and leave it running in cli. I'm in the gui now but cannot find any of the server apps anyway so is it not possible to do it this way?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I installed the Server edition and then added ubuntu-desktop via terminal. Although a server is better off with non-gui, I also use my server as my home box. It has to multi-task! Anyways, I was new to servers as of April '08, but the learning curve is not all that bad.

You have to go into Synaptic Package Manager (or terminal) and check the appropriate boxes for Apache, MySQL, PhpMyAdmin, PHP5, etc... Quite simple through synaptic pkg mgr.
    Last edited by R.Bucky; October 26th, 2008 at 06:12 PM.
    ~Mark
    http://nwlinux.com - tech blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

you don't have graphical tools to setup all those different server... a gui is useless in that regard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    ~Mark

Beans

ah ok, so even if the ubuntu desktop is installed as said above, there is no gui for the server apps anyways. Hmm, this is going to be a hell of alot harder to do than I thought.

Beans

There's quite a lot to learn if you are coming from a point and click environment. You could try something like ebox http://ebox-platform.com/ to get you started and think about going it alone when you've worked through the various systems. I believe it is in the Ubuntu repos.

Keith

Beans

I might just reinstall again without the ubuntu-desktop in that case. By the sounds of it ebox just allows easy configuration of the server apps on ubuntu, it doesn't actually dumb it down and lose features does it?

I'd love to learn the cli, but granted I wanted to set the server up to be DNS, samba, alfresco server...etc I honestly don't know where to start.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Webmin and PhpMyAdmin are as GUI as you are going to get in terms of editing, configuring, and backups. Again, you would need to have a GUI system installed instead of command line.
    ~Mark

Beans

so is it worth leaving the setup as I have it at the moment ie with ubuntu-desktop installed over ubuntu server and installing the mentionned webmin, phpmyadmin and/or ebox or would it be better performance and generally better in the long run to just have command line and run said applications over the network? Sorry if I'm asking silly questions and stuff I just want to make sure I do this right the first time around so I don't have problems in the future that could have been really easily avoided.

Cheers again everyone for the great help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

On most servers ive administered I use webmin and do not install a GUI. I simple use a browser on a networked computer to administer the server. In fact, I dont even have input devices or a monitor on the servers once they are running except for when hardware fails.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast