Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Apple charge so much?

Beans

Re: Why does Apple charge so much?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    People who want performance computers, including gamers, buy or build desktops. It also makes it possible to upgrade the graphics card and CPU when their current ones become obsolete.
    Which you can't do on any Apple notebook or iMac. Though it is possible with some other brand notebooks:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Upgrade...rd.3236.0.html

Beans

Mac uses the same hardware as PC. So, nothing really special. For all Apple fanboy: WAKE UP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Re: Why does Apple charge so much?

It is like designer dresses.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Time and time again people do not look at a Macintosh the right way. A Mac is not just a simple box with an os on its the whole package, you pay for the support the amazing hardware software integration the well designed laptop/desktop the look and feel of it and the operating system itself. With a windows pc you buy a basic pc , and you install windows on it ( costing you just under £170) you then have to pay for all the software that you use with it , with a Mac you get almost everything ( apart form office and Photoshop) as part of the os. Then with the windows (and to a smaller extent Linux) you have the big huge pain of hardware support "does xxx work with vista?” “where are the Linux drivers for yyy?" with a Mac all this is taken care of.

However there are a few problems with the price of some Mac "upgrades" the price of memory for a Mac is just ludicrous you can get memory for you Mac with a lifetime guarantee for almost 50% of the price you pay on apple.com, also there graphics cards are a bit " behind" and are slow to upgrade to new ones. They are my own 2 problems with apple.

I am sorry but you get what you pay for in this world.
    Registered Linux User 480533

PC AMD 9950 Black @ 3.0 Ghz Ubuntu 9.10x64 openbox / Win 7 Retail
    Laptop 2006 Mac Book 2.2 ghtz OSX 10.5

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Buying a Mac is like buying a Rolls Royce. No one drives their Rolls, they have a chauffeur to bring them places. If you want to drive your own car, you buy a Ferrari. You also don't tinker with your Rolls Royce, you have a mechanic fine tune it. If you want to tinker, you build your own or buy a pickup truck. Apple is there for a smooth ride, not a rollicking one.
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjoy View Post
    Time and time again people do not look at a Macintosh the right way.
    Bzzzt! Not quite. No one should have to consider looking at it in a certain way in the first place. The computer works for you, not the reverse.

I'm in charge of a newspaper company full of Macs. You really want to know how many power supplies, hard drives, graphics cards, fans, keyboards and mice I've had to replace in the last year alone? Sorry, but from my personal experiences with Apple hardware in the last 11 years I would not recommend one to anyone with any kind of conservative budget. It's been nothing but a money pit.
    It' just the usual "you don't need to own one but it's there if you want it" marketing. Macs aren't really anything special. They don't need a virus or malware to crash. They blow up by themselves. You have to make it fell special to you to justify the purchase. Thus the cult of self-back-patting. Just like anything else.

And another thing people need to consider. Microsoft is a software company. Apple is a software AND hardware company, so they can do pretty much whatever the heck they want (and sadly, it shows).

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't think Apple charges too much for what you get. Sure it's common hardware molded together, but it's molded well. It's easier to create a program/OS/etc. for a single combination of hardware than various. This also helps squash bugs in programming.

Again, as I've said before, Mac's are nearly impervious to overall hardware failure. I remember an iBook with a fried processor. Took it to the Apple Store and they replaced it for free. They didn't need to see any papers or warranty, nor an ID. That's pretty cool to me.

As factotum218 was saying, I call you on it and tell you that I work around Mac's everyday and have very rarely ever had to replace a part. One keyboard at one time, but that was all. We did, though, replace all the mice, because nearly everybody here thinks Mighty Mice are incredibly bad designed (the click mechanism is flaky). BTW, I am an Apple Certified Technician.

Overall, I'm very happy with mine. Just hate Pages in iWork; it's just evil.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lukjad007 View Post
    Buying a Mac is like buying a Rolls Royce. No one drives their Rolls, they have a chauffeur to bring them places. If you want to drive your own car, you buy a Ferrari. You also don't tinker with your Rolls Royce, you have a mechanic fine tune it. If you want to tinker, you build your own or buy a pickup truck. Apple is there for a smooth ride, not a rollicking one.
    When you install Arch & Openbox (or whatever DT/WM), you get to have a great deal of fun, you get to customize the machine to suit yourself, control the size of all the fonts that you couldn't get at in Leopard (amongst so many other aspects) & it will run faster too! You get to be the creative engineer instead of the chauffeur driven site seer

Also, I agree with Frak; Apple's Mighty Mouse is crap.
    Last edited by handy; November 3rd, 2008 at 06:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    BTW, I am an Apple Certified Technician.
    Maybe if I make that a goal our systems here will be exercised of their demons. No wait, never mind, I'm trying to claw my way out of this hell hole that I work in.

In all honesty, I think it may have something to do with the majority of them being iMacs (black ones that will just be outdated again in another year but will be oh so fun to throw away or recycle as Steve-O puts it). We have a few Mac Pro's that rarely give any trouble. But overall my work experiences in the last few years have caused me to now run away screaming from anything with a Mac logo on them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    When you install Arch & Openbox (or whatever DT/WM), you get to have a great deal of fun, you get to customize the machine to suit yourself, control the size of all the fonts that you couldn't get at in Leopard (amongst so many other aspects) & it will run faster too! You get to be the creative engineer instead of the chauffeur driven site seer

Also, I agree with Frak; Apple's Mighty Mouse is crap.
    Agreed.
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast