Re: Why does Apple charge so much?

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    I feel tha heat... flame war coming!
    Not from me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pricing.

A well chosen price should do three things :

• achieve the financial goals of the company (eg.: profitability)
    • fit the realities of the marketplace (will customers buy at that price?)
    • support a product's positioning and be consistent with the other
      • price is influenced by the type of distribution channel used, the type of promotions used, and the quality of the product variables in the marketing mix
        • price will usually need to be relatively high if manufacturing is expensive, distribution is exclusive, and the product is supported by extensive advertising and promotional campaigns
        • a low price can be a viable substitute for product quality, effective promotions, or an energetic selling effort by distributors

From the marketers point of view, an efficient price is a price that is very close to the maximum that customers are prepared to pay. In economic terms, it is a price that shifts most of the consumer surplus to the producer. A good pricing strategy would be the one which could balance between the Price floor(the price below which the organization ends up in losses) and the Price ceiling(the price beyond which the organization experiences a no demand situation).
    Dominique Gerald M. Cimafranca
    Ubuntu Living

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
    2000 for a laptop that can't even play games well?

Their pricing is insane.

they do it cos they can
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Red face Re: Why does Apple charge so much?

Their pricing is insane.
    I don't recall Apple marketing to the gaming community.

They make some of sleekest hardware and software out there: that's why they are expensive. They've always been expensive and they'll probably always be this way. They did, however, just come down a few hundred in price.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

If one looks on E-bay, There are a number of older Mac machines that sell well under $40 including the G3. The newer G3's with Tiger OS X and 512 or even 1 GB RAM can be had for around $ 125 +/-. No need to spend $1500 or $2000 on a new Mac when a older one might do.

Beans

I believe they've had another record profit this year. And their prices are always UP.

Interesting.

If you can't take the price (I don't blame you for that), try OSX86. It's free and it's still laying in a gray area of legality. You won't have the Apple support and software/hardware interoperability edge though.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by the8thstar View Post
    I believe they've had another record profit this year. And their prices are always UP.

Interesting.

If you can't take the price (I don't blame you for that), try OSX86. It's free and it's still laying in a gray area of legality. You won't have the Apple support and software/hardware interoperability edge though.

Actually their overall computer sales were down, but they more than made up for that with the phone sales that did very well for them.

I think the price is part of their overall marketing scheme for the Macs, and they will continue to concentrate on that market.

Don't expect any price declines. During economic downturns Apple concentrates more on research and development.

Despite the fact that they use and benefit greatly from using open source, Apple seems to contribute little back.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by techmarks View Post

Despite the fact that they use and benefit greatly from using open source, Apple seems to contribute little back.
    That's a very pricey one-sided relationship indeed.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Dude, no $2000 laptop will play the latest games well. Laptops must use low-power components to preserve battery life and ensure a minimum of heat production, because the chassis of a laptop is not really big enough to allow good heat dispersion. The low-power components don't have anywhere near the performance of the higher-powered desktop components.

People who want performance computers, including gamers, buy or build desktops. It also makes it possible to upgrade the graphics card and CPU when their current ones become obsolete.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast