Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MSI Wind wifi troubles continue

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: MSI Wind wifi troubles continue

Someone said that there was a BIOS update for the Wind. Would that and the updated driver help? I'd like to try, but I don't know the commands.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Unhappy Re: MSI Wind wifi troubles continue

I found a link to an updated version of the driver on Launchpad and followed the user wiki's instructions again, replacing the old driver's name with the new. But it's still the same: I see networks, but I can't connect to them.

Is anybody out there?
    Last edited by kstella; October 28th, 2008 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Added links

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hello to all,

I dont know if this post is too late.
    I personnaly used the instructions of this link to make the wifi run on my msi wind .. I compiled it as explained .. and now the connexion rocks.

Also in the page, many ideas to make your favorite netbook more easy to use under ubuntu.

regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by didobuntu View Post
    Hello to all,

I dont know if this post is too late.
    I personnaly used the instructions of this link to make the wifi run on my msi wind .. I compiled it as explained .. and now the connexion rocks.

Also in the page, many ideas to make your favorite netbook more easy to use under ubuntu.

regards
    Thanks, dido. Actually, that's what I did, and it didn't work. I tried with an updated version of the driver, and it still didn't work.

I'm feeling really bad about this right now - not your fault. It's just that I seem to have been posting to myself all this time.

Beans

Hi:

I tried compliing the driver as well and had no success. So I followed the recommendations on the wiki at msiwind.net: I bought an Intel 3945 802.11a/b/g wireless card and replaced the stock Realtek unit. Result: instant success. Other MSI Wind users have also installed the Intel 4965 draft 802.11n card with success as well. If you don't mind spending $40 - $50 it's a lot less painless than compiling drivers with every kernel release...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It sorta works if I set static IP and DNS. But that's not what I want. I want to roam. :<

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I followed the wiki (http://wiki.msiwind.net/index.php/Ub...04_Hardy_Heron )too and had no problems compiling and using the drivers for ubuntu 8.10 on my new msi wind...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by itisbasi View Post
    I followed the wiki (http://wiki.msiwind.net/index.php/Ub...04_Hardy_Heron )too and had no problems compiling and using the drivers for ubuntu 8.10 on my new msi wind...
    Are you able to roam?

Beans

Yes, I have the same trouble. Some more details.

1. My card was basically working up until the upgrade to 2.6.24-23, using the "coffee" fork of the drivers. It would fail sometimes, and I think I had problems with nm and roaming, but usually at least a recompile-wlan0down-wlan0up (and maybe a reboot) got it working again.

2. Now, under either .24-22 or .24-23 (recompiling each time), I cannot connect to open or WEP networks, though I *can* connect to a WPA network. On WEP or open, it just hangs at "Obtaining IP address..." I have upgraded to the newer drivers (2008-11-18).

3. I'm not sure it's the driver itself, but I'm not sure what else it might be. I have had no luck with nm, wicd, or trying manually. On the other hand, I'm not sure what all is involved in "roaming" so I don't know what pieces are running.

4. Also, since the drivers worked for me before, and "just work" for other people, I suspect it's an interaction between several pieces.

If someone has a good idea of what the pieces are, and how to disable them and try bringing things back one at a time, I'd be interested.

FYI: I tried the precompiled debs from http://forums.msiwind.net/debian/rtl...ges-t4954.html, but they wouldn't install for me, as I posted there -- some glitch in the .deb relative to my system. (Besides, the kernel changes often enough it's just easier to keep recompiling. Well, when it works.)

One possibility: the readme for this newest version mentions they wrote that for 2.6.27. Other people have run it with 2.6.24-23, but possibly .27 would work better.

I'm seriously considering the Intel card.

-crt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A nice How to WIFI on Ubuntu guide is available here :

http://www.mobvertising.com/blog/wi-...ady-clicksurf/

The screen shots help me a lot.

It sounds this method is working on :

1 MSI Wind U100
    2 RoverBook Neo U100
    3 Advent 4211