Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I think Linux should have one commercial media player

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why I think Linux should have one commercial media player

At the moment if you want to watch a DVD of some Hollywood you are only able to do so by using means that are illegal in most countries. For the upcoming spread of Blu-Ray the situation looks even more dire.

Personally I agree that the ideal situation would if those formats wouldn't have any encryption at all and/or would be openly documented so that insert favourite player here could easily implement the support. But sadly that doesn't seem to be a realistic situation in the near future. Even if Linux adoption would suddenly be around 20% of the market, I just think that just more commercial video player would start to appear, instead of open formats.

So that is why for now I would favour if that would one commercial media player just specifically for the playback of all the encrypted formats (DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray). I know there exists LinDVD but AFAIK that doesn't even have support for the HD media. Further it looks like a cheap 1:1 port of the windows version in GTK+ 1 and therefore looks ugly and completely out of place.

What I would wish for would a small, light-weight application with a simple and clean interface. It should just handle playback of those media types and try to be some one-to-rule-them-all-player. Also it should be a Linux program, build on Linux technologies (D-Bus, GStreamer, PulseAudio, ...) and using them for benefit. Preferably it should be separated in a back-end that handles all the decoding/playback and different front-ends. So there could be one written in GTK+ for GNOME & Xfce users, one in Qt for our KDE friends (and even one in Tk for those who like ugly ).

If a program like that existed, that gave you the chance for legal playback and would be shipped for around 20 - 25€ I and quite a few people I know would immediately buy it. But as said it would be important it doesn't just feel like some cheap port of a windows app to shell out another few bucks from the Linux users.

So for the normal media playback (video files, music, ...) everyone would still use insert favourite player here, while for the those 3 disc formates you could rely on the Linux Proprietary Media Player.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Re: Why I think Linux should have one commercial media player

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes; art is knowing which ones to keep.

Beans
    Distro

This only bit that talks about DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-Ray playback is the small part about PowerDVD Linux. Which is still the old, hideous, badly ported version that also does not offer any support for either of the HD formats. So I fail to see "it is here".
    Last edited by bash; October 23rd, 2008 at 04:31 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sethvath View Post
    You can tell that article is utter rubbish by the fact that the author doesn't seem to know the difference between "free", "free" and commericial software. Ubuntu is still both "free" and "free", but it is also sponsored by a commercial company that want to make money out of it. The three words are not mutually exclusive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

With regards to HDDVD, because there is absolutely no red tape and DRM to overcome for any commercial company to implement it on any non vista systems.

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...-dvd-playback/

It's also not there for DRM reasons. In order to get an AACS license for an official player, Apple would have to give us a M$ Vista, with everything locked down to prevent users from tampering with the kernel or any stage of the playback. Along with monitoring for tampering, driver registrations encouraged, and mandatory signing of kernel extensions with Apple in order for them to be loaded. Possible callback behavior to let Apple know if some Mac owner is trying to get into the system.

The open source playback utilities are getting close to HDDVD/BRD playback. Within another year, I expect we'll be able to play movies using Mplayer & VLC. Hopefully on less expensive drives, currently the cheapest high definition drive is the XBOX addon for $180 from Amazon.

I really hope Apple *didn't* obtain a license, lock everything down, and put official HD playback into Leopard.
    Did you click through the 3 links in the article referring to the codecs for purchase via canonical shop? Apparently not.
    http://blog.canonical.com/?p=37
    https://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=19
    http://ostatic.com/173388-blog/canon...n-of-worms#rss

If you did you would see that Cyberlink PowerDVD != Corel LinDVD
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes; art is knowing which ones to keep.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mister_pink View Post
    You can tell that article is utter rubbish by the fact that the author doesn't seem to know the difference between "free", "free" and commericial software. Ubuntu is still both "free" and "free", but it is also sponsored by a commercial company that want to make money out of it. The three words are not mutually exclusive.
    I'm certainly not in agreement with the author's biased opinionated post but do no deviate from why I posted the link to inform the OP of the topic at hand. Whether the author is right or wrong no one knows for sure.

Kindly point me where the 3 "free" statements you list are used in the author's context. I've read the article 3 times and do not see your point.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sethvath View Post
    If you did you would see that Cyberlink PowerDVD != Corel LinDVD
    Meant to say PowerDVD Linux instead of LinDVD. Corrected the mistake. But it still stands that both program are just cheap ports of their windows version. No proper GTK/Qt interface or using recent Linux technologies. Or even support for Blu-Ray(/HD-DVD).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bash View Post
    Meant to say PowerDVD Linux instead of LinDVD. Corrected the mistake. But it still stands that both program are just cheap ports of their windows version. No proper GTK/Qt interface or using recent Linux technologies. Or even support for Blu-Ray(/HD-DVD).
    I knew you would go back to the Blue-ray/HD DVD issue

The AACS 'Digital Rights Management' system in most HD-DVD and all Blu-Ray discs attempts to stop consumers from exercising fair use rights, including:

* Playing purchased Blu-Ray and HD DVD films using Open Source software.
    * Playing films using standard digital (DVI) or analog (VGA) cables and monitors, which generally do not support HDCP DRM, without a 75% reduction in resolution.
    * Fast forwarding or skipping advertisements.
    * Playing imported films, including when local equivalents may be overpriced or not available.

Blu-Ray or HD DVD player applications require their unique player (or 'device') key to play discs. These keys are issued by AACS-LA to approved manufacturers that implement the restrictions above. This player key can decrypt each film's volume key, which in turn can decrypt the film's content to play it.
    quote https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...BluRayAndHDDVD

If it was that easy to implement both natively in linux and mac, no one should be calling for a commercial solution to be done. Should be easy pickings for Cyberlink or any other company to provide a solution ages ago.

Beans

I don't think this is a good idea. I find no point in switching to Linux if you have proprietary software of any kind. (including flash player, drivers, etc..) What I hope happens in the long term?
    Proprietary DRM infested formats are cracked and used so widely (after Linux gets about ~25% market share. Then the companies that rule see the light and start switching to open formats.
    (yes I know I am dreaming)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0

Never forget.
    NEVER under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use the commands: sudo rm -rf or rm -rf unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing! These commands will permanently erase data on your computer!

Guitarists! Show us what you can do!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast