Thread: Rebuild a package... why?

Beans
    Hidden!

Rebuild a package... why?

Hi.

After yesterday's big Arch update, I found all sorts of stuff not working - totem, tracker, and one or two other things.

Following a hint from a forum message, I (finally) sat down and read about ABS, then rebuilt the non-functioning packages.

And they've been working perfectly.

My question... uh, what did I actually DO? How is rebuilding, say, Tracker from source and re-installing it any different than just reinstalling via pacman?

This is non-urgent - like I say, everything's working again, but in the interests of extending my knowledge of Linux, Arch, and my PC, I'd be interested to know why a rebuild works and a re-install doesn't.

Does the rebuild produce a more up-to-date version, or does it communicate with the rest of the installation better?

Yours sincerely,

Clueless in Ireland.

Beans

Re: Rebuild a package... why?

Let me see if I can explain this:

Package X depends on package Y.
    When X is packaged it is built against the libraries (*.so files) provided by package Y.
    Now, the package Y gets updated, and the new version of Y has new versions of libraries (*.so files) -- the result is that package X stops working, because it is looking for the old set of libraries that got replaced during the upgrade of Y.
    Rebuilding X basically means that package X will look for the libraries provided by the current version of package Y -- the currently installed versions of libraries are linked during the build process.

Normally all this rebuilding work is done by Arch devs, but in some cases, especially for [community] packages, or if you're using [testing], there can be a delay between when package Y is upgraded and when package X is rebuilt against the new set of libraries.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks, that explained it in a way that finally made sense to me!

So, if I had done nothing, another update would have come along and fixed the problem anyway... Which seems to be what happened, because both the packages I had to rebuild appeared in this morning's update.

But in spite of all the tension and panic, it was good! I've been meaning to read up on ABS ever since I installed Arch, and this was the incentive I needed to finally do it!

Thanks again!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whitefort View Post

So, if I had done nothing, another update would have come along and fixed the problem anyway... Which seems to be what happened, because both the packages I had to rebuild appeared in this morning's update.

But in spite of all the tension and panic, it was good! I've been meaning to read up on ABS ever since I installed Arch, and this was the incentive I needed to finally do it!

Thanks again!

Another reason people use the ABS and the AUR is to use C[XX]FLAGS.

You have to edit your /etc/makepkg.conf to use custom flags for your processor.

I try to only use the ABS/AUR for my Arch install, occasionally I cheat with a binary if I have trouble building the package.

With ABS/AUR and the pacbuilder app, you can have a Arch system similar to Gentoo.

Beans

Thanks again!
    You're welcome

Usually these sorts of problems get fixed quickly -- devs have actually gotten very good at managing those complicated rebuilds (another big one is coming up, I think, with python being upgraded to 2.6). Still, there is always a chance that some packages will not be rebuilt immediately. If that happens you can always report the bug on the bug tracker (there is a separate section for [community] packages).

By the way -- if you use yaourt then rebuilding a package is as easy as typing yaourt -Sb package, the (ingenious) script will do the rest.

Which is not to discourage the use of ABS -- of course. ABS can be really powerful, since it enables you to customize Arch beyond what the standard set of packages can provide.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by crimesaucer View Post
    Another reason people use the ABS and the AUR is to use C[XX]FLAGS.
    I have absolutely no idea what you just said!

So little time, so much to learn...

Arch certainly seems to be a good 'learning' distro. I'm having a lot of fun with it (well, I'm having fun during the moments that I'm not terrified that I've totally messed up my system...

(and my computer's system too! )

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by fwojciec View Post
    if you use yaourt then rebuilding a package is as easy as typing yaourt -Sb package, the (ingenious) script will do the rest.
    Yaourt is something else which is totally new to me. I'll look it up.

BTW, I love the ninja bears pic - is there a full-size version of that anywhere?

Beans

BTW, I love the ninja bears pic - is there a full-size version of that anywhere?
    I think this is where I got it from initially: http://http://images.usefulzero.com/s/ninja-bears/

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks - I really love that pic!

Beans

I have absolutely no idea what you just said!

So little time, so much to learn...

Arch certainly seems to be a good 'learning' distro. I'm having a lot of fun with it (well, I'm having fun during the moments that I'm not terrified that I've totally messed up my system...

(and my computer's system too! )

Thanks!
    Compiler flags are for building a package from source for different architectures, or with different optimizations:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg.conf

I would show you this Gentoo page, but their site is down: http://gentoo-wiki.com/CFLAGS#-Os

Here is a list of C[XX]FLAGS and different optimizations: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/i3...002d64-Options

This is what the Arch and Gentoo page say to use for safe C[XX]FLAGS for an AMD Turion 64x2 (I think the Gentoo page uses "-msse3"):

Code:
    CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
    CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    and the MAKEFLAGE of:

Code:
    MAKEFLAGS="-j3"

..... but since my Turion 64x2 TL-60 is newer, and has SSE3 available: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...22_.2890_nm.29

.... I write in the "-msse3" option to enable it. I also use "-Os" instead of "-O2".

this is what I use in my /etc/makepkg.conf:

Code:
    CARCH="x86_64"
    CHOST="x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"

#-- Exclusive: will only run on -march=x86-64 
    # -march (or -mcpu) builds exclusively for an architecture
    # -mtune optimizes for an architecture, but builds for whole processor family
    CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -msse3 -Os -pipe"
    CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -msse3 -Os -pipe"
    #-- Make Flags: change this for DistCC/SMP systems
    MAKEFLAGS="-j3"

I think these are pretty safe to use, I wish I knew more about the other settings available..... I'm still learning a lot about kernels and building a system from source.