Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you recommend openSuse?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Would you recommend openSuse?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Actually Ubuntu includes AppArmor be default.
    Whoops... I never noticed it... Just looked it up. My bad! Well scratch the AppArmor point then .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Actually Ubuntu includes AppArmor be default.
    And Mono.
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Wait, OpenSUSE 64 bits version is much better, specially since you can easily install 32 bits applications without suffering.
    Introducing KDE 4, mini articles full of screenshots

I'm Mexican. If you find any mistakes please let me know, you'll help me improve my English. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Well personaly I've never tried openSUSE but it makes me angery what Novell did. Its basicly a Microsoft slave but thats just my opinion. I'd go with Kubuntu. Its best to stick to what you know. If you deside thats not for you why dont you try Fedora? I used to use it and it was great but it never messured up to Ubuntu in usablity.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by inspriation26 View Post
    Well personaly I've never tried openSUSE but it makes me angery what Novell did. Its basicly a Microsoft slave but thats just my opinion. I'd go with Kubuntu. Its best to stick to what you know. If you deside thats not for you why dont you try Fedora? I used to use it and it was great but it never messured up to Ubuntu in usablity.
    It makes you angry but you take advantage of it every time you use Ubuntu, so... Fedora and OpenSUSE are both great. If you feel like testing new distros, give those 2 a shot.

I'm Mexican. If you find any mistakes please let me know, you'll help me improve my English. Thanks in advance.

Beans

No I would not recommend it. Until they fix the tweaks they put in to KDE 4. When I used it a couple weeks ago, I found their version of KDE 4 to be slow and buggy.
    AMD Phenom Q9500 Quad-Core 2.2ghz / Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI / 4GB PC667 RAM / 320GB SATA II

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by inspriation26 View Post
    Well personaly I've never tried openSUSE but it makes me angery what Novell did. Its basicly a Microsoft slave but thats just my opinion.
    FUD.

This is covered many times in many places around the forums. Despite the often excellent explanations and opinions on the matter, the original statements, "straight from the horse's mouth", offer a more orderly and informative approach. Examining the following will hopefully help clarify the Novell-Microsoft agreement for others:
    Novell and Microsoft - Working Together for Customers (From Novell)
    Open Letter to the Community (From Novell)
    Microsoft and Novell Collaborate (From Novell)
    Microsoft & Novell Interoperability Collaboration (From Microsoft)
    Microsoft and Novell Collaboration FAQ (From Microsoft)
    Novell and Microsoft - Interoperability (Joint Project)
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by seanc7 View Post
    No I would not recommend it. Until they fix the tweaks they put in to KDE 4. When I used it a couple weeks ago, I found their version of KDE 4 to be slow and buggy.
    You don't use Kubuntu I assume.

Anyway, even if such a things are true (I dunno, I always use the latest KDE from OBS), OpenSUSE is the king of KDE implementation, you'll find KDE 4.2 on OBS or KDE 4.3 if you like bleeding edge things.

@Sorivenul: I couldn't agree more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    FUD.

This is covered many times in many places around the forums. Despite the often excellent explanations and opinions on the matter, the original statements, "straight from the horse's mouth", offer a more orderly and informative approach. Examining the following will hopefully help clarify the Novell-Microsoft agreement for others:
    Novell and Microsoft - Working Together for Customers (From Novell)
    Open Letter to the Community (From Novell)
    Microsoft and Novell Collaborate (From Novell)
    Microsoft & Novell Interoperability Collaboration (From Microsoft)
    Microsoft and Novell Collaboration FAQ (From Microsoft)
    Novell and Microsoft - Interoperability (Joint Project)
    +1!! (where did the Thank function go?)

For those people that want to try openSUSE, there seems to be a lot of controversy over ver. 11.1 (very similar to what you hear about Ubuntu 8.10). OpenSUSE 11.0 is getting the better press (similar to Ubuntu 8.04). This is just my observations.

Fedora is a good distro too. To me it just seems a little more "raw", where you have to poke and do more to tweak it while openSUSE provides the control centers and Yast to help manage setting the system up.

I have also heard that there is an openSUSE KDE 3.5 LiveCD available though I don't know if it is an official or an unofficial one.
    Last edited by Dragonbite; January 22nd, 2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Where did the Thank function go?
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sorivenul View Post
    fud.

This is covered many times in many places around the forums. Despite the often excellent explanations and opinions on the matter, the original statements, "straight from the horse's mouth", offer a more orderly and informative approach. Examining the following will hopefully help clarify the novell-microsoft agreement for others:
    +1

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast