Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shouldn't we be more thankful?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Shouldn't we be more thankful?

Hi, I've just installed my brand new printer. A laser-color CLP-310 from Samsung. I bought it 'cause it was advertised as "linux compatible" (even though it isn't listed at linuxprinting ), and 'cause it was worth only 122€

Know what? It come with a driver installer for linux, just as easy to install as a windoz one !!! And it works very well! Well, not free ones (I think), but at least some drivers. And more important: the manufacturers are realizing that we do exist !

My point is: shouldn't we take a moment to thank the manufacturers who offer a decent linux support? A plain email with something as "I purchased your xxx.xxx product because of its linux support, and it works all right. Thanks, and keep the good work"

That way, they would know that they sold (say) a printer because they made drivers for linux, and this would encourage them into the right direction...
    What's even more important than free software? - OPEN FORMATS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Shouldn't we be more thankful?

i agree. people should let these companies know when they do good.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

thats a fantastic idea. making manufacturers know how grateful their linux users are is also good karma.

Beans

NO, we shouldn't thank for something we pay, we can thank for FOSS, GNU, Ubuntu but not for something we pay money, the quality and compatibility with all os-s should be implied.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well, after i bought my laptop with ubuntu preinstalled, I felt like sending a short e-mail to the store saying that it worked flawlessly and that I supported their OS choice.

This should also apply whenever you find an open source application that proves helpful for you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iKonaK View Post
    NO, we shouldn't thank for something we pay, we can thank for FOSS, GNU, Ubuntu but not for something we pay money, the quality and compatibility with all os-s should be implied.
    They don't know whether the product goes to a windows or a Linux user. If they are told in a thank you message then they do & with enough thank's may put more energy into the Linux side of their business sooner.

Being grumpy because they don't give their printers away certainly won't help anyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It`s nice idea, but if large amount of users begin sending emails for manufacturers these messages looking as spam (I think).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think we should be thank full to every body involved with UBUNTU, as a lot of people are putting a lot of time into making it a better OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by iKonaK View Post
    Why would I thank Ubuntu for a driver that a hardware company made?

The manufacturer wasn't forced or required to develop that driver. They developed it because Linux users are part of their customer base.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    They don't know whether the product goes to a windows or a Linux user. If they are told in a thank you message then they do & with enough thank's may put more energy into the Linux side of their business sooner.
    +one,

whether it is a linux driver, or something else, if you're happy with a product, it costs nothing to show it, and maybe make someone's day a happier one
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast