Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] problems with the repository

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: problems with the repository

No, he's saying that apt-get works when update-manager doesn't. Nothing seems to have changed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

OK, try this first (based on an old bug report).
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get clean all
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    Then try to use Update Manager again.
    If you get an 403 error with Update Manager can you enter the address in your browser e.g. http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/...86/Packages.gz and see if you get an error (I've just checked it and it works fine for me).
    If you don't get an error, please use Synaptic to completely remove update-manager and update-manager-core. Note all additional packages that are removed. Reboot and then go back to Synaptic and Install all packages which have just been removed.
    The only other thing I can suggest is that the install CD may have been corrupted. Did you burn it yourself ? Performed a checksum on the ISO that was downloaded ? Checked the CD via it's menu item prior to installing ? It may be necessary to try a complete re-install from scratch.
    I'm not aware of BT Home-hub problems when installing software (only setting up connections to the PC).
    Good luck.
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Beans

no no, i can only update using terminal - if i try to check for updated software using update manager, the 403 error comes up.
    I can access the file
    Code:
    http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy/partner/binary-i386/Packages.gz
    fine, and i can see that it contains text.

If i remove update manager, how do i get it back? i havn't got my live CD with me atm, a friend is using it. I did burn it myself, onto a re-writable dvd. That shouldn't cause a problem, right?

I have included two screenshots for clarity.
    Code:
    http://image.boswarez.org/image.php?id=3337_4901BA72
    http://image.boswarez.org/image.php?id=33C5_4901BA72
    Last edited by plasmarox; October 24th, 2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: update
    Intel Core i7 950, XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB, 6GB PC3-10600U, Windows 7 Pro x64, SyncMaster 2243SW, Dell E2210H; Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 8GB PC2-6400U, Windows Server 2008 running ADDS, File Services, DNS and DHCP

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I know it's frustrating, but I'd like to help.
    What I've suggested is that you completely uninstall via Synaptic via the web and then re-install again with Synaptic via the web after a reboot (not using update-manager to do this).

Regarding installation CD/DVD. Yes it's possible to introduce problems via a bad disk. When you download the ISO file the first thing to check is the downloaded file hasn't got corrupted data by performing a hash check (also known as checksum). If this is fine you can burn it to CD/DVD at a relatively slow speed (4x or less) to minimize burn errors. Burning software and information here. Finally you should check the CD/DVD integrity from the grub boot menu that appears when you first run the CD/DVD. If you haven't done so a memory check using memtest (again in the grub boot menu) is a good idea as Windows, for example, can work with faulty memory (but you're likely to get random lockups and crashes).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kevbert View Post
    Yes, I know it's frustrating, but I'd like to help.
    What I've suggested is that you completely uninstall via Synaptic via the web and then re-install again with Synaptic via the web after a reboot (not using update-manager to do this).

Regarding installation CD/DVD. Yes it's possible to introduce problems via a bad disk. When you download the ISO file the first thing to check is the downloaded file hasn't got corrupted data by performing a hash check (also known as checksum). If this is fine you can burn it to CD/DVD at a relatively slow speed (4x or less) to minimize burn errors. Burning software and information here. Finally you should check the CD/DVD integrity from the grub boot menu that appears when you first run the CD/DVD. If you haven't done so a memory check using memtest (again in the grub boot menu) is a good idea as Windows, for example, can work with faulty memory (but you're likely to get random lockups and crashes).
    i will admit, i struggled to burn to the iso - i struggled to find a good program, and wasted a CD in the process

I didnt actually check the cd for errors, althoguh i guess i should have done. Wouldnt the installer say it was corrupted when installing?

Also, where on the internet can i find the update manager *.deb? Or how cani find this out?
    Intel Core i7 950, XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB, 6GB PC3-10600U, Windows 7 Pro x64, SyncMaster 2243SW, Dell E2210H; Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 8GB PC2-6400U, Windows Server 2008 running ADDS, File Services, DNS and DHCP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by plasmarox View Post
    i will admit, i struggled to burn to the iso - i struggled to find a good program, and wasted a CD in the process

I didnt actually check the cd for errors, althoguh i guess i should have done. Wouldnt the installer say it was corrupted when installing?

Also, where on the internet can i find the update manager *.deb? Or how cani find this out?
    you would install the update-manager program using Synaptic Package Manager. Go to system-->administration-->Synaptic Package Manager, search for the update-manager packages, and remove them fully (click the checkbox and choose "mark for complete removal") then hit apply (after taking note of the other packages being removed) and after that is done, re-install using the same method but choosing "mark for installation" from the checkbox menu.

Hope that helps clarify things.

P.S. The installer wouldn't say it's corrupted if it installed fine nonetheless, the major errors are displayed for critical system files, which update-manager isn't.

Beans
    Distro

When I suggested via the web, I meant as long as you have an active internet connection you can use Synaptic to get it for you. For packages you can go also go here(I've linked to where you can get the two files). Deb files you can just double click on.
    Please also check your email.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lswest View Post
    you would install the update-manager program using Synaptic Package Manager. Go to system-->administration-->Synaptic Package Manager, search for the update-manager packages, and remove them fully (click the checkbox and choose "mark for complete removal") then hit apply (after taking note of the other packages being removed) and after that is done, re-install using the same method but choosing "mark for installation" from the checkbox menu.
    would i need to do a complete removal or just removal? whats the diffence?

Beans
    Distro

Removal will only get rid of the packages that you ask, complete removal will get rid of all library files and support files for the package.

Beans

OK, this is frustrating!

ive uninstalled used synaptic file manager to tell me what file it is, copied into Firefox, downloaded, installed, and it STILL does exactly the same thing.

Maybe my IP range is banned on the server?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast