Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iMac G5 not detecting SSD w/ fresh Ubuntu install

Beans

iMac G5 not detecting SSD w/ fresh Ubuntu install

Anyone know what the issue might be? I'm trying to install a fresh install of Ubuntu on a "factory fresh" SSD. I installed it in the iMac, but Ubuntu says it can't detect the drive... booting from the liveCD... Do I need to "prep" it by formatting it somewhere else? Thanks!

Beans

Re: iMac G5 not detecting SSD w/ fresh Ubuntu install

You probably need to format it. Go into the Disk Utility in Ubuntu and see if there are any free space or unallocated disk space.
    Use the ext4 file system.
    For mounting points:
    - The root mounting point is /, so set a partition around 30-40Gb, depending on how big your SSD is.
    - The home mounting point is /home, this will store all your music, videos, documents etc. so this will be a little bigger, but again, it depends on how big your SSD is.
    - You can also choose to set a swap partition, this is for hibernation purposes, but since the Ubuntu developement team has removed the GUI function of this feature, you don't have to have one. But if you choose to set it, it should be bigger than the amount of RAM you've got.

Good luck

Beans

But wouldn't the Ubuntu installer let me format the disk?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spaceballl View Post
    But wouldn't the Ubuntu installer let me format the disk?
    Disk must be formated in hfs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eastone View Post
    Disk must be formated in hfs.
    Oh is that right? Just for the installer to *detect* a hard drive, that drive must be formatted in HFS?

Beans

Oh is that right? Just for the installer to *detect* a hard drive, that drive must be formatted in HFS?
    Yes, OF does not see "ext" partitions. Is necessary to format disk first under mac disk utility.

Beans

Thanks! You made my morning... I was thinking that I'd have to send the drive back, etc etc, or that maybe my G5 somehow didn't support SSDs. I look forward to working on it this evening! I'm excited to get my G5 up and running w/ a 128GB SSD + 2GB RAM.

Beans

Hi All,

So... I'm not sure what the issue is. I formatted the SSD w/ OS X Disk Utility on my MacBook Air, and it's recognized as HFS. But... still the Ubuntu Installer doesn't seem to detect it. This time, however, when I boot up, I get the folder question mark thing on the iMac so I know that it can see the drive, I think I do at least.

Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I put the spinning disk of Ubuntu back in the iMac and booted right up. So... my next test is i'm going to use Carbon Copy Cloner now to make an image of the hard drive, and then I'll image that back to the SSD, and I'll see if that works.

But i'd really just like to get this darn iMac G5 to detect the SSD on boot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi All,

So... I'm not sure what the issue is. I formatted the SSD w/ OS X Disk Utility on my MacBook Air, and it's recognized as HFS. But... still the Ubuntu Installer doesn't seem to detect it. This time, however, when I boot up, I get the folder question mark thing on the iMac so I know that it can see the drive, I think I do at least.

Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I put the spinning disk of Ubuntu back in the iMac and booted right up. So... my next test is i'm going to use Carbon Copy Cloner now to make an image of the hard drive, and then I'll image that back to the SSD, and I'll see if that works.

There is a kernel issue with detecting SSD. If I were you, I would try to make it a blank disk, boot into Ubuntu live, format it was MBR and move from their.
    Where is the Love?

Beans

Hi All,

I was not so clear last time
    Maybe this can help: support.apple.com/kb/HT2595
    Apple Partition Map must be used for internal disk too, especially for internal in ppc mac
    Last edited by eastone; May 15th, 2012 at 08:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast