Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to run Linux in Windows with limited access/rights

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to run Linux in Windows with limited access/rights

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy-buntu View Post
    These computers are pretty damn new. I don't think it would take 5 full seconds for a click. I've run linux in a virutal box at my high school, in a class nonetheless, where the teacher encouraged it.
    You didn't listen -- VirtualBox is virtualization software that requires direct access to priviledged CPU calls. You must install it as an administrator, and the virtualization engine installs drivers that run as the administrator on behalf of a limited user. You do not have such access so you cannot install software such as VirtualBox, Virtual PC, or VMWare that perform fast virtualization.

You are stuck using QEmu which fully emulates a computer as a software application. And that is slower often by a factor of 100x, which is far more than what "15 years" of computing has been able to advance processing power.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sorry double post, you cant delete the one before it.
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II X3 720 (3.2GHz), GSkill 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (60GB), 750GB + 640GB WD Caviar Black; Windows 7 Pro / Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The answer to your question is you cannot virtualize Linux within Windows without administrator rights (i.e. privileged access to the CPU). There is no further answer than this.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Why couldn't you let the community answer that for me then, instead of accusing me of doing something I shouldn't be, then telling me that a thread concerning Linux doesn't belong in a forum for Linux.
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II X3 720 (3.2GHz), GSkill 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (60GB), 750GB + 640GB WD Caviar Black; Windows 7 Pro / Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

From the Code of conduct

unauthorisded access to systems is contrary to law in most countries that is why we do not allow it

This is not a crack site , its a professional IT Support site

"You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated material or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing any of these may lead to you being temporarily or permanently banned from these forums (and your service provider may also be informed).

if a post or thread contains spam (unsolicited advertising) it will be moved to the forum jail and the poster may be banned. Active users in good standing are allowed to have links to personal sites in their signatures, in their profile, and may post them in threads on occasion (just not often, please) as long as the content of those links does not include abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated material or any other material that may violate any applicable laws."
    Last edited by KiwiNZ; October 22nd, 2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo fix
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I didn't ask for, nor do I want a crack.

I asked for a method of running a Linux distribution from within Windows.

Maybe your mind goes directly to 1337 h4xx0rs and all of that, but I'm pretty sure running Linux from a USB stick within Windows isn't illegal. It's probably possible for someone to get into a sticky situation that way, but there's plenty of bad things you can do from within Windows too. I'm not intending to do either.

My original post: "How to run Linux in Windows with limited access/rights

How could you run Linux (like Puppy Linux) on a computer running Windows, but here's the thing:

1. Live Media is a no go (network boot)
    2. You cannot install VMware or any other .exe (but portable apps--.paf.exe--from portableapps.com work for some reason)

I was wondering if this was even possible. Maybe run virtual box/VMware off a USB stick if that's possible.

Any ideas?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Might I add explicity:

How to run Linux in Windows with limited access/rights (without doing anything illegal, gaining additional system rights, or anything else that falls in the shady area).

How could you run Linux (like Puppy Linux) on a computer running Windows, but here's the thing:

1. Live Media is a no go (network boot)
    2. You cannot install VMware or any other .exe (but portable apps--.paf.exe--from portableapps.com work for some reason)

I was wondering if this was even possible. Maybe run virtual box/VMware off a USB stick if that's possible.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Again, both KiwiNZ and I have gave you a thorough explanation why the thread will remain closed. As far as I am concerned this manner is over and done with. This is not a Linux question as much as it is a Windows question at this point for you to address with your network administrators.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Then move it to the Windows section.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok *fine*, I am tired of arguing this. I have moved and re-opened the thread to the Windows discussion but will continue to monitor it. At any signs of illegal activity the thread will be taken offline and involved parties will be issued the appropriate infractions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast