Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Ubuntu Version

Beans

[SOLVED] Ubuntu Version

I am new to Ubuntu. I have a Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. I have a few question about:
    - which Ubuntu version to install.
    -x86 one or 64 bit one.

- I have burnt a ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition(64 bit) cd and tried running ubuntu live but after boot screen no desktop appears instead a series of colored lines appear .
    - is it because of the wrong version (but the site says that the 64 bit version works for Intel and AMD)
    - some problem with my cd? (I checked for errors and it says no errors)

- Please help i need to install Linux on my laptop and preferably a 64 bit OS. Are there any other versions of Ubuntu I should look out for? (or a more fundamental question - is there a Ubuntu version for x86-64 bit architecture?)

Thanks for any help
    B.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu Version

If it is a 64 bit processor the 64 bit version should work. However the 32bit version will work on 64 bit architecture no problem and in my experience with negligible effect on the performance. So you could try the 32bit and see if that works. If not it could be a graphics card problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Since you have a core 2 duo processor the 64-bit Version will work on that.

Your Problem seems to be related to your graphics card.
    What kind of graphics card do you have?

Try running the live cd in "save graphics mode mode" (<-- don't remember what it is called correctly, but it is an option in the menu, when the cd is inserted.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You will likely need to install from the "alternate" CD.

First try booting to "safe graphics" mode. If that fails -> alternate CD and post install we will need to install the drivers for your graphics card.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 is the video card. My processor in Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 2.1Ghz. My processor is 64 bit.

If i try to boot in the safe mode (after choosing the install in windows option) - then I can see the desktop but then I encounter errors like - root not set. etc. after this error message the ubuntu desktop wont load.

Thanks
    B.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

ok, you're trying to install Ubuntu from within Windows using Wubi?

Try using the Live-CD and bootimg from it. Then try the Safe Graphics Mode from there.

http://ubuntu-il.com/wiki/images/8/8f/Installguide3.jpg

You may have to enter your BIOS and tell it to boot from your CD-Rom drive first.

Beans

thanks - in safe mode on a live cd - I am able to load ubuntu and work on it as well.

I have also checked most of my hardware.

My question is -
    should I install ubuntu now, without worrying worrying about the white screen to appear again? Or do i need to install drivers for my video card before installing ubuntu..

thanks guys for your speedy help - its highly appreciated

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by suncoolsu View Post
    thanks - in safe mode on a live cd - I am able to load ubuntu and work on it as well.

I have also checked most of my hardware.

My question is -
    should I install ubuntu now, without worrying worrying about the white screen to appear again? Or do i need to install drivers for my video card before installing ubuntu..

thanks guys for your speedy help - its highly appreciated
    You can install. If you have problems we need to fix them on the installation anyways
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

I have installed ubuntu as "commanded" and i still get the same white screen problem as before, please see the screens in the order of their occurance.

My Laptop is a recently launched Dell Studio 1535
    configuration is as follows
    Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 2.1 Ghz
    Video Card - Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    OS - Windows Vista ( I tried installing UBuntu with Vista - though i plan to get rid of vista asap)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It looks like your laptop does not support the Live cd. Try installing with the alternate cd. You can download it from the Ubuntu homepage.
    Be Safe. Use Linux.
    Double your drive space. Delete Windows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast