Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to slow down music but keep the pitch.

Beans

Question Want to slow down music but keep the pitch.

Hello. One of my favourites is playing the guitar. I want an application that slows music down but keeps the pitch at the same level.

I think it can be done in audacity but when I open a file in audacity nothing can be done to it, all filters, tools and stuff are deactivated, I can just play it and nothing more.

Any solutions are welcome!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Want to slow down music but keep the pitch.

You will need the ladspa plugins, and I think you may even need to compile audacity yourself to get the speed change plugin to work; I believe it is a broken plugin in the ubuntu .deb. It was possible in a previous version of audacity on ubuntu, I know because I used it several times, so it my be worth trying an earlier version of audacity if you can get one.

For the plugins look for tap-plugins and swh-plugins in synaptic.

Beans

Hi all.

I'm trying to do the same but with video (guitar tuition DVD's and solos!)

You can do audio in Audacity - works fine for me with Intrepid :

- Open Audacity & load a sound file
    - select all or part of the file (drag over the waveform with your mouse)
    - click "Effect->ChangeTempo"

This works for me, the "Effect" controls are only greyed out when the sound is playing

HTH!

Beans

google Rubberband by Chris Cannam, it is the library that ardour is using for time stretching/shrinking without pitch change.
    rubberband can do quite some useful stuff and is keeping improving.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

wait, it's possible to slow down music but keep the pitch? That's awesome! I always though that it'd be almost impossible to keep the consistency of the music and change the pitch (since most pitch changers literally lengthen the wave for the note, making it lower).
    "life's sweet, so photograph it; that way someone else can see how sweet it truly was..."

Beans

you can also look into an app called freecycle. It works like Recycle, you can see a video here :

http://www.propellerheads.se/product...cle=what_is_it

Beans

Yeah, in Audacity, Change Tempo will let you slow down without changing pitch, and Change Pitch will let you change pitch without changing the speed. Change Speed does the more traditional resampling method, where higher pitched sounds are faster and vice versa.

If you can't apply any effects, you may have to select something first. Drag over the waveform or do Ctrl-A to select all, then try doing effects. That stopped me from using Audacity for like half a year ...

@pirattrev - crazy, right? it's timestretching and interpolating but on a whole lot of tiny windows instead of over the whole sample. with too much change you do get artifacts. which in turn gives you the signature sound of drum n bass.

Beans

Rubberband and audacity are good options already mentioned.

Drawback of those is that you can't manipulate the speed 'live'/'realtime' afaik.

I seem to remember the free Sonic Visualiser does that, as well as the commercial (but cool and cheap) Transcribe!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

not perhaps the answer you are looking for but the Roland Boss micro BR will do it.

Awsome bit of kit in my view and sooo sexy to look at. the designer deserves a pat on the back!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

+1 for Sonic Visualizer. It uses rubberband as time stretcher.
    Had to build it from source (both rubberband and sonic-visualiser) because there´s no amd64 package
    Also the beat/tempo detection is pretty good, you'll need the qm plugins for that.

http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/
    http://vamp-plugins.org/

Transcribe!7 has a good realtime eq and also besides tempo change can do realtime pitch shifting. It's an amazing program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast