Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO surf anonymous

poptones Guest

Re: HOW TO surf anonymous

There's still some holes here. The simplest exploit with the config given is just to get your ISP server logs: if you don't use dns caching they'll still know every site you visit. If you set privoxy to forward dns requests all you're doing is sending the packets out to tor, which encrypts the traffic and sends it hop to hop only to send the dns request right back to your isp. It would be trivially easy to correlate these "alien" dns requests with your outgoing traffic.

If you want to be anonymous make sure you don't use your isp's dns configuration; set your dns resolution to the public dns hosts scattered across the globe.

Oh, and don't forget this doesn't "protect" you on gaim or usenet or email unless you also set those clients to use the socks proxy provided by tor.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poptones
    There's still some holes here. The simplest exploit with the config given is just to get your ISP server logs: if you don't use dns caching they'll still know every site you visit. If you set privoxy to forward dns requests all you're doing is sending the packets out to tor, which encrypts the traffic and sends it hop to hop only to send the dns request right back to your isp. It would be trivially easy to correlate these "alien" dns requests with your outgoing traffic.

If you want to be anonymous make sure you don't use your isp's dns configuration; set your dns resolution to the public dns hosts scattered across the globe.

Oh, and don't forget this doesn't "protect" you on gaim or usenet or email unless you also set those clients to use the socks proxy provided by tor.
    I think privoxy should take care of the dns problem:

The Problem. When your applications connect to servers on the Internet, they need to resolve hostnames that you can read (like tor.eff.org) into IP addresses that the Internet can use (like 209.237.230.66). To do this, your application sends a request to a DNS server, telling it the hostname it wants to resolve. The DNS server replies by telling your application the IP address.
    So what can I do?
    For HTTP (web browsing), use a socks4a-capable HTTP proxy, such as Privoxy. See the Tor documentation for more information.
    http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheO...AQ#SOCKSAndDNS

poptones Guest

Uhhh... no, that isn't "taking care of it" at all. if your internet configuration involves DHCP then when you connect to your ISP it sets your DNS servers to its domain. When you "proxy" these requests through privoxy and tor all you are doing is encrypting the request at tor, sending it through multiple hops along that network only to have it exit the last machine in the chain right back to your ISP. That remotely proxied request is getting sent, in cleartext, right back to your ISP. Now your ISP has a record in their logs of both your entry point into the network and your exit point - completely not anonymous to anyone able to impound those records.

We need a way to intercept DNS requests so they don't "leak" while we're trying to be anonymous. (This happens because the application does the DNS resolve before going to the SOCKS proxy.) One option is to use Tor's built-in support for doing DNS resolves; but you need to ask via our new socks extension for that, and no applications do this yet. A nicer option is to use Tor's controller interface: you intercept the DNS resolve, tell Tor about the resolve, and Tor replies with a dummy IP address. Then the application makes a connection through Tor to that dummy IP address, and Tor automatically maps it back to the original query.
    Last edited by poptones; December 18th, 2005 at 08:55 AM.

Beans

Uhhh... no, that isn't "taking care of it" at all. if your internet configuration involves DHCP then when you connect to your ISP it sets your DNS servers to its domain.
    I'm probably just confused (as is so often the case with me) but could you explain what using your ISP's DNS has to do with using DHCP?

When you "proxy" these requests through privoxy and tor all you are doing is encrypting the request at tor, sending it through multiple hops along that network only to have it exit the last machine in the chain right back to your ISP. That remotely proxied request is getting sent, in cleartext, right back to your ISP. Now your ISP has a record in their logs of both your entry point into the network and your exit point - completely not anonymous to anyone able to impound those records.
    Again, I'm confused. Doesn't it boil down to your ISP having the record of you connection to a tor server and the record of another tor server looking up the DNS on the ISP's nameserver?

poptones Guest

OK, where I am on dialup my ISP is a relatively small provider that provides service only in this state. In that regard the odds of me entering and exiting via this ISP are damn slim.

BUT, let's consider someone on... pacbell, or at&t, or even aol or netscape.

Those services have millions of customers and the odds of going through the tor net and ultimately exiting within the same /8 are not insignificant.

When forwarding DNS requsts through privoxy you get a LOT of timeouts which end up in 404s. Tor "servers" that provide dns service back to their connections generate a significant amount of dns traffic. This alone is enough to draw attention and it's a safe bet any automated sniffing equipment will be logging machines fitting these traffic patterns.

DNS is one of the weakest links in all this. If you *really* want to have some amount of privacy you need to configure a local dns host and have it peer to some of the public dns servers. You can even use tor to do it; the thing is, once you have a local DNS cache you minimize that outgoing traffic - most of your requests now go directly to their resolved destination, which makes it significantly harder to correlate your traffic patterns.

Beans

DNS is one of the weakest links in all this. If you *really* want to have some amount of privacy you need to configure a local dns host and have it peer to some of the public dns servers. You can even use tor to do it; the thing is, once you have a local DNS cache you minimize that outgoing traffic - most of your requests now go directly to their resolved destination, which makes it significantly harder to correlate your traffic patterns.
    Now this is something I can agree with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

How would you go about something like this?

Beans

hi, i had a quick look in synaptic and i think proxychains, chained together with TOR and Privoxy should stop the DNS requests being leaked. however, i think you shouldn't rely on me especially as i have only thought about it for a minute or so. get an experts opinion.

OK, i found this, this will work.
    http://www.imperialviolet.org/deerpark.html
    Last edited by Danielle; December 23rd, 2005 at 01:42 PM.

Beans

there is no need to install any program, you can use webbased phproxy like this.

http://radiofarda.be

they are fast , free and need nothing to install on your pc. just go to that site and put the site adress in

ПОПТОНЖ Guest

You must be a spammer - three posts here and every one of them points to a proxy server in belgium.

FYI Belgium explicitly outlaws telecommunications anonymity and anonymizing services. If you're going to use a proxy server make sure it isn't just a honeypot set up by someone phishing for passwords and credit card info.. and make sure it's in a country that actually offers meaningful protection for telecom users.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast