Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO surf anonymous

Re: HOW TO surf anonymous

How does tor work? I can get my browser to be anonymous, but I'm confused on how it does it. When I use the proxy, pages take a long time to load. Is this because of the proxy? Also, where do you change the proxy with the proxies from the site that Dutch provided?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Basically Tor provides a distributed network of servers ("onion routers"). Users bounce their tcp streams (web traffic, ftp, ssh, etc) around the routers, and recipients, observers, and even the routers themselves have difficulty tracking the source of the stream
    The proxy can slow you down some, depends on its user load at the time, killing and then restarting tor may connect you to a better proxy. You really dont have to change the proxies, it does it for you, just set your browser to use 127.0.0.1:8118 and the tor application will handle connections out.

I think it also encrypts it for you aswell which can cause it to be a little slower.

link to tor site
    http://tor.eff.org/

I just installed InitNG, and I told it to run privoxy and tor, but when I switch my proxy in Firefox, I get an error about not being able to connect to the proxy because of a bad configuration. Any suggestions?

Edit: I discovered that the directories in the tor.i file are wrong. For the daemon, it points to /usr/bin/tor, but that file is not there, only tor-resolve. Where is tor?
    Last edited by souled; November 27th, 2005 at 09:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by souled
    I just installed InitNG, and I told it to run privoxy and tor, but when I switch my proxy in Firefox, I get an error about not being able to connect to the proxy because of a bad configuration. Any suggestions?
    Switch proxy to what? The only proxy you need to define in FF for tor+privoxy is 127.0.0.1 and port 8118. I dont use switchproxy but instead just go to Edit-Prefrences-General-Connection Settings and set it to manual and 127.0.0.1 port 8118 to use tor, then automatic to not use tor

When I change it to 127.0.0.1, I get "couldn't connect to proxy server, check your configurations." I'm looking at tor.i and privocy.i (for InitNG), and the tor.i paths are correct
    Code:
    service daemon/tor {
            need = system/mountfs net/lo virtual/networking daemon/privoxy
            daemon = /usr/sbin/tor
            daemon_args = --chuid tor
            pid_file = /var/run/tor/tor.pid
            HOME=/var/lib/tor
    }
    But the privoxy.i paths aren't right.

Code:
    service daemon/privoxy {
            need = system/initial system/localmount net/lo
            use = net/eth0
            daemon = /usr/sbin/privoxy
            daemon_args = "/etc/privoxy/config"
            pid_file = /var/run/privoxy.pid
    }
    There is not /var/run/privoxy.pid. Does that make a difference?

Edit: I know it has something to do with InitNG because when I boot with the init.d stuff, everything works

Beans
    Distro

Oh, I have never used InitNG so I am not sure how to set it up that way.
    I have a privoxy.pid file under /var/run so I am not sure why you dont Mine is owned by root for some reason. If I remember when I set mine up way back when I had a problem with my config privoxy file not being in my home directory, you have any similar problems? That may be part of the problem Im not sure. Hope you can figure it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Looks pretty cool.
    I'm just wondering, is there a way to use tor also with Nicotine (soulseek client)?
    -------------------------------------
    Ubuntu in Spanish is Ubuñtu!
    Running Aspire 9814 AMD64 & Extensa 5620

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by souled
    How does tor work? I can get my browser to be anonymous, but I'm confused on how it does it. When I use the proxy, pages take a long time to load. Is this because of the proxy? Also, where do you change the proxy with the proxies from the site that Dutch provided?
    hi, the way it works is your packets enter TOR's servers at the first server all packets are encrypted they then go on to the next server then the next, that's what slows you down traveling through those extra servers, and the more people using them the less bandwidth they have, but the more anonymous you are.

your ISP can see you going into the first server but not after that, it's then possible to see all the packets leaving the last server, but at that point no one will know whos packets are whos from the out-side. TOR will know but i don't think they keep records.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nano
    Looks pretty cool.
    I'm just wondering, is there a way to use tor also with Nicotine (soulseek client)?
    If the program supports socks proxy connections you can use tor. Just set it to 127.0.0.1:5190 I believe.

However At one time they asked that tor not be used with any p2p apps due to the amount of traffic that it creates would cause heavy load on the servers and hinder the other users. I am not sure when the statements were made (Date) so this may or may not be applicable if they have since had alot of new servers. Also the operators of serves can filter which ports can be used to cut down on using it as a proxy to send spam, so they could in-effect block popular p2p ports hindering its usage aswell.

If its supported and you choose to use it I would just try to be respectable and not transfer gigs of data per day Also realize that your transfer speeds will not be what they used to be, so download and upload speeds will take a hit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Originally Posted by souled
    How does tor work? I can get my browser to be anonymous, but I'm confused on how it does it. When I use the proxy, pages take a long time to load. Is this because of the proxy?
    Each hop in the proxy chain adds another layer of encryption (known as onion routing) - so that the proxies in the middle of the chain have no idea about the source, destination or contents of the traffic. They only know of the previous hop and the next hop.

As far as i know the only known attack against this (apart from brute forcing multiple layers of encryption) is for a hostile entity to control both the entry point proxy and the exit proxy. If you control entry and exits points of the network then you could sniff the exit traffic / destination ip and determine the source IP from time matching the sessions.

Not easy to do - this would require significant resources (government agencies), i believe there are ways to configure tor for the ultra paranoid types to restrict the entry and exit proxies to systems outside of USA and Germany. Apparently two of the world leaders in surveillance.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast