Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPC Install problems

Beans

PPC Install problems

Trying to install fresh ubuntu server onto a b&w g3.

It is already running a xubuntu install from a previous install.

I have burnt, Desktop 7.1, Server 8, Server 7.1 and Server 6.06.2 using 2 different Macs with 2 different burners, at slowest speeds with images that passed md5 checks.

I have tried 4 different optical drives with different IDE cables and configurations in the b&w g3.

Every time I try any install of a server based edition, I get as far as it trying to copy some of the apt packages off the cd and fails the cd check.

If I do an integrity check it always fails (at ppc/packages)

Any ideas? I'm fresh out - and I already trashed the xubuntu partition cos I was trying to do a server install with a softraid.

Beans

Re: PPC Install problems

Is it possible for me to modify the cd img to not do the integrity check and just batter on with the install?

Or is there a problem with all PPC images? I'm obviously missing something because I can't explain the problem unless all PPC disk images are broken - which they can't be as others have used them, including myself in the past!

help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Can you now start with a desktop CD? I mean, do you have this problem just with the server edition?
    Have you added some extra cards in the last time (Grafic Card, USB Card)?
    To check if your issue is related to your CDs or to your hardware, can you try them with another Mac.
    Which CDs are you using?
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans

My desktop PPC image worked fine on my PowerBook... Though it is a 2005 G4... Dunno what could be wrong, maybe bad cd burner?

Beans

The desktop 7 disk i have gets into the live cd and will let me do that.
    Ideally I wanted to implement softraid at install time, and gparted on the live disk doesn't seem to want to let me do that which is why i opted for server disks.

I've tried different burners, different macs to burn, and even different optical drives in the target mac, along with changing ide configs within it too.

Am at my wits end!
    Guess I'm going to have to install a desktop and work backwards to remove the gui!
    Maybe forget about the softraid too

Beans

I have just reviewed his problem.

It seems that EVERY burnt disk fails at ./dists/dapper/main/debian-installer/binary-powerpc/Packages.gz - failing the md5 check. (or similar - obv. not every one is dapper)

However, the md5 for the disks seems fine and several burners burn the disks the same (i've re-imaged them and md5ed the results)

Could this be a hidden RAM disk issue? - as this is before I partition or setup disks - is the installer trying to copy stuff to a RAM disk at this point? I have 512MB in the machine so I thought I was safe, I can bump in some spare RAM and see if that helps.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GazHay View Post
    Guess I'm going to have to install a desktop and work backwards to remove the gui!
    You don't need that. You can download a MinimalCD and choose the configuration according to your needs (without X) when you install the system
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GazHay View Post
    I
    It seems that EVERY burnt disk fails at ./dists/dapper/main/debian-installer/binary-powerpc/Packages.gz
    /dists/hardy/main/debian-installer/binary-powerpc/Packages.gz

for server 8 disks.

It seems strange that if the multiple burners were to blame, or the cd images (which were downloaded independently and md5 on different machine and verified as correct) would fail at the exact same step, and the cds fail the integrity check at the exact same point.

What's worse, I can't even make the 7 live cd boot now so I am stuck - probably have to go back to OSX/9 :/

unless I can dig out some netboot instructions

Beans
    Distro

Do you have any extra PCI Card?
    You can try now resetting your VRAM/PRAM (hold down at boot up cmd+opt+P+R)
    And, another way is to try with a USB Stick
    https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/install...#boot-newworld

Beans

Problem found.

It's either the logic board or the chipset firmware.
    I've had OSX on it so I doubt it's the firmware - guess the MLB is dying.
    (I happened to have another B&W g3 - so i'm going to set it up identically and install then transfer most of the hardware back to the older box and see if it boots!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast