Thread: Monitor turning off - anyone else getting this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Monitor turning off - anyone else getting this?

I am getting a situation where my monitor will just go blank at random times. I press any of the monitor buttons and it will come back (any adjustment keys or menu key). It is not powered off - more in standby.

Specs:

I am running a Quad core desktop with 8.04. It did this once before - early on in 8.04 (just a few times) but resolved itself somehow.

I have put in all the various no sleep, etc in the Xorg.conf, the power options are all set to turn off never (in power settings and config). I made sure that laptop mode is off.

It is really not a timed thing - which would be easier to solve. It could be 5 minutes or 4 hours. It just goes blank/turns to standby), no out of range or anything from that standpoint. It has happened with no activity and also when I am doing web browsing or open office...

I do the normal updates - not sure if an update is causing it or if it may be a bad monitor (3 months old Dell 22" hooked up with DVI).

Anyone have any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks,
    GSpyder

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Monitor turning off - anyone else getting this?

When it happens next open a terminal and enter
    dmesg
    there might be helpful troubleshooting output there and/or check /var/log/xorg.log.

Actual you can check you log files either from System > Admin or by looking in /var/log because if this has been happening for a while chances are that it could be reported in the log files.

If it is the monitor going bad that probably won't show anything so if there is no logfile on the blackouts that suggests what you already suspect may be true.
    Last edited by phidia; October 21st, 2008 at 02:32 PM.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by phidia View Post
    When it happens next open a terminal and enter there might be helpful troubleshooting output there and/or check /var/log/xorg.log.

Actual you can check you log files either from System > Admin or by looking in /var/log because if this has been happening for a while chances are that it could be reported in the log files.

If it is the monitor going bad that probably won't show anything so if there is no logfile on the blackouts that suggests what you already suspect may be true.
    It has done it once since I posted this... Checked the logs nothing revealing...

I have two systems with two monitors (side by side). I just switched the monitors (not happening on my other Ubuntu system). It happened with this other monitor as well. So I am ruling out a monitor problem.

I am thinking it is something with Ubuntu on this box loosing connection with the monitor which is in autodetect mode (default with DVI hooked up).

The other monitor has two systems hooked to it - VGA and DVI and I can have it select which input it uses specifically rather than auto dectect. I can't change the primary monitor just to use digital - due to only one system hooked to it.

So I wonder if it is loosing connectivity to the DVI.

Any other thoughts?

Beans

Wink Re: Monitor turning off - anyone else getting this?

It sounds exactly like what happened to me when I had 7.10 installed, the monitor would switch to standby, I was told that all I needed to have done was move the mouse, and I had done that several times without the screen resuming. I'm unsure of a fix for this, but I just wanted to say that you're not the first to encounter it. Thankfully in 8.04 and certainly in 8.10 things has drastically improved.

I also got told that it could have been my graphics card, that is was't fully inserted (it was)., perhaps you could check yours just to be on the safe side.
    Last edited by scouser73; October 22nd, 2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Added extra comments

Beans

I'm having similar problem. When booting up, right after progress bar finishes and it should go to login screen, monitor goes to standby and mouse / keyboard do not wake it up.