Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] What size for swap partition?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What size for swap partition?

I have been told it's 2 x the RAM up to a max of 512MB. Certainly with my 1GB of RAM 512MB is fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Pointy, I entered the command as I think you wrote it and instead of just one reort back it just kept doing it over and over again and I didn't know how to stop it except for closing the terminal window. I see what you wrote as "free -s 1" (that's 1 as in one). What did I do wrong?
    The information that everyone else is providing is good and accurate, but I don't think that it's going to get to the root of the problem. I really strongly suspect that swap size is not the issue here. It's much more likely a problem with the network driver. I think this because 1) Firefox doesn't cache anything to the swap partition; and 2) you say that when the downloads stop, you're also unable to browse web pages--if it were just a case of running out of swap space, you should still be able to connect to websites. But if the whole connection is breaking, as is known to happen in certain cases when your networking interface is under heavy load, then that would explain why viewing pages fails at the same time as downloads.

When you get a chance, please post the output of the commands that I mentioned in post #2 after your connection breaks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by two4two View Post
    I only have a 13G HDD for my Ubuntu (8.10). I installed with the defaults from the partitioner. It only gave me 510MB for the swap partition. Could this affect my downloads? Also, is there some kind of cache or temp storage where downloads are temporarily kept while the download is proceeding? I see Firefox has some cache for the size to be specified, but I'm talking about when I do the downloads for updates for Ubuntu. This is FTP and not involving the firefox browser. I ask this because it seems that when I do these downloads it gets so far and then slows down to a crawl. The downloads must have a timer because once they slow down they fail. Also, by that time Firefox browser won't work either any more. I use a TrendNet TEW-424UB (using the RealTek driver). Anyone have any ideas?
    Swap is used when you are out of ram memory.

Depending on what you have 510mb could be good enough.

I think it's good to have at least 1x your ram memory as swap.

Unless you have less than 1gb, then I would double it.

I don't think the swap memory is the problem here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: [SOLVED] What size for swap partition?

8.10 solved my problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12