Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: ugh...dad using windows

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bama (Roll Tide)
    Beans
    256

    ugh...dad using windows

    my dad today asked me for a good anti-virus for xp. i suggested AVG or NOD32. he takes one look at the site and then continues to go to the symantec site for norton. now its my moms and little brothers computer and all they do is play online games and check email (and my mom does taxes. is there any linux tax software?) i would suggest linux but anytime i suggest it he quickly gets mad and changes the subject...and its really starting to make me mad seeing as how im the one constantly fixing his laptop.

    i could probably get my brother to swith as long as there are little kid games (he is ten) and my mom wouldnt be too hard to switch either if i can get a tax software for her (turbotax in wine?)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    Yeah, refrigerators are pretty disappointing
    Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    instant oatmeal killed my wife and children
    Quote Originally Posted by etnlIcarus View Post
    Stop hatin' on the wang, man.
    TWITTER!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Scotland
    Beans
    1,305
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: ugh...dad using windows

    offer to set up a dualboot system, and see if he can get used to linux slowly!

    avg free is ok for windows, norton is an expensive waste of resources.
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

    "...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    the Hague, Netherlands
    Beans
    949
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: ugh...dad using windows

    Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    my dad today asked me for a good anti-virus for xp. i suggested AVG or NOD32. he takes one look at the site and then continues to go to the symantec site for norton. now its my moms and little brothers computer and all they do is play online games and check email (and my mom does taxes. is there any linux tax software?) i would suggest linux but anytime i suggest it he quickly gets mad and changes the subject...and its really starting to make me mad seeing as how im the one constantly fixing his laptop.

    i could probably get my brother to swith as long as there are little kid games (he is ten) and my mom wouldnt be too hard to switch either if i can get a tax software for her (turbotax in wine?)
    Software for your mam: gnucash maybe? It's a free general purpose finances tool, I figure it can do taxes as well

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bama (Roll Tide)
    Beans
    256

    Re: ugh...dad using windows

    Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    offer to set up a dualboot system, and see if he can get used to linux slowly!

    avg free is ok for windows, norton is an expensive waste of resources.
    i suggested avg free but he wont use it cause its free. yeah i think im gonna have to do a dualboot. but i cant tell him...ill just show my mom
    Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    Yeah, refrigerators are pretty disappointing
    Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    instant oatmeal killed my wife and children
    Quote Originally Posted by etnlIcarus View Post
    Stop hatin' on the wang, man.
    TWITTER!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: ugh...dad using windows

    Linux is the best antivirus I know of.

    Sorry for not having anything more constructive than this, but Norton hogs memory and runs achingly slow. Look for anything else.

    There are a lot of options. If you'd like a FOSS one, there's ClamAV (Windows port), but I don't know how good it is. Haven't needed one in a good long time.

    PS. What's his problem with Linux?
    Last edited by snova; October 20th, 2008 at 11:18 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    14,781

    Re: ugh...dad using windows

    Don't try to push your dad around

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bama (Roll Tide)
    Beans
    256

    Re: ugh...dad using windows

    Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Don't try to push your dad around
    yeah i know..but its for the best right? he doesnt use it. and my mom thinks of me as a technical god. i mean you seriously cannot use the laptop right now. i used to play halo on it with great speed and now it takes 10 min to open solitare
    Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    Yeah, refrigerators are pretty disappointing
    Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    instant oatmeal killed my wife and children
    Quote Originally Posted by etnlIcarus View Post
    Stop hatin' on the wang, man.
    TWITTER!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Scotland
    Beans
    1,305
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: ugh...dad using windows

    Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    i suggested avg free but he wont use it cause its free. yeah i think im gonna have to do a dualboot. but i cant tell him...ill just show my mom
    there is a pay for version, if he feels the need to part with cash
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

    "...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bama (Roll Tide)
    Beans
    256

    Re: ugh...dad using windows

    Quote Originally Posted by snova View Post
    PS. What's his problem with Linux?
    the fact that he see me all the time customizing my system makes him think its hard. he is also very hardheaded
    Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    Yeah, refrigerators are pretty disappointing
    Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    instant oatmeal killed my wife and children
    Quote Originally Posted by etnlIcarus View Post
    Stop hatin' on the wang, man.
    TWITTER!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Beans
    195
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: ugh...dad using windows

    Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Don't try to push your dad around
    +1
    My dad uses Windows too .. but I dont push him into Linux .. as long as Windows works for him, let him have it! I don't feel the need to always push/convince others to use Linux too!

    I do see ur point .. u say u r the one who fixes his laptop always .. but on the other hand, if u get him to switch, he wud still be asking for ur help to do various tasks on Linux ..
    Or u cud explain to him tht u r tired of fixing things and hence u want him to switch

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •