Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nvidia 9600gt 720p Issues

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Nvidia 9600gt 720p Issues

This is how far my 9600GT gets and just freezes at this point (excuse the picture...it was taken with my cellphone ). Currently using the non-proprietary driver which is ok. Will wait for 8.10 and see what happens. If that fails too, then I'll try 'envy'.
    Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cookieforyou; October 30th, 2008 at 01:34 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cookieforyou View Post

Will wait for 8.10 and see what happens.
    8.10 is done, except for the release announcement. Whatever is hanging up in your system isn't going to change in the next 2 days.

With three different Nvidia cards running Kubuntu and some other distros, I've never personally observed the driver loading all the way to the Nvidia splash, and then freezing -- that's kinda weird. I'd say reinstall it, by whatever means you prefer.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Just a quick update about the 720p freezing issue. I have finally figured what it was. After lots of messing around and waiting for 8.10, i installed it this afternoon, expecting it to fix my issue. However i still had the problem, so i ran Hardinfo.
    This reported that my CPU's were running at 1GHz not 3 as they should be. after a bit of detective work, it seems CPU scaling was causing the issue as powernowd doesn't ramp the CPU usage up when playing videos.
    why this didn't have an effect with my old card is beyond me, i can only guess that i must have enabled quick and quiet by mistake when i reset the BIOS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12