Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Compiz, Head Tracking, and the 3d Interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Compiz, Head Tracking, and the 3d Interface

Does this work with games? I would love to play ET:QW and savage and all the others in 3d!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I doubt it would be. Culling, man, culling! Hidden face removal! It would look really weird.

There are very good reasons why the only FPS that works well with such techniques is Quake 1. You can safely eliminate hidden face removal and backface culling in the Quake 1 engine, compile it, and still get a semi-decent framerate. (And by the way, when I say semi-decent, I mean semi-decent.)
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post
    I doubt it would be. Culling, man, culling! Hidden face removal! It would look really weird.

There are very good reasons why the only FPS that works well with such techniques is Quake 1. You can safely eliminate hidden face removal and backface culling in the Quake 1 engine, compile it, and still get a semi-decent framerate. (And by the way, when I say semi-decent, I mean semi-decent.)
    Nexuiz is based on a modified quake 1 engine

Beans
    Distro

Emphasize "modified." If you tried to do this with DarkPlaces (which is the engine Nexuiz uses) and holograph it, you'd probably have to disable all the graphical effects and take everything back as close to the quality of the original Quake as you possibly can.

Think of it this way. Have you ever used Blender 3D on something of that detail (i.e. an entire map,) viewing everything with textures, bump maps, parallax maps, shaders, GLSL distortion effects, light bloom, and so on? 3d modeling software can't do any culling for fairly obvious reasons, so it's noticeably laggy. Now scale that lagginess up considerably.

It's not that bad, because some things can be thrown away safely (rooms that aren't visible from the current room, for example.) However, you can just about forget the possibility of having an outdoor map.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Emphasize "modified." If you tried to do this with DarkPlaces (which is the engine Nexuiz uses) and holograph it, you'd probably have to disable all the graphical effects and take everything back as close to the quality of the original Quake as you possibly can.

Think of it this way. Have you ever used Blender 3D on something of that detail (i.e. an entire map,) viewing everything with textures, bump maps, parallax maps, shaders, GLSL distortion effects, light bloom, and so on? 3d modeling software can't do any culling for fairly obvious reasons, so it's noticeably laggy. Now scale that lagginess up considerably.

It's not that bad, because some things can be thrown away safely (rooms that aren't visible from the current room, for example.) However, you can just about forget the possibility of having an outdoor map.
    I like outdoor maps (like the space maps in nexuiz and the like).
    Also, this rules out ET:QW since it doesn't have a single indoor map, all the maps have huge outdoor areas (which is basicaly fun , but in this case, sucks ).

Beans
    Distro

Don't worry about it. Wait about a year for some more advanced graphics cards to come out, put eight of them in crossfire, optimize the engine for multithreaded processing (not hard to do from a technical standpoint,) and we'll see what we can do.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Don't worry about it. Wait about a year for some more advanced graphics cards to come out, put eight of them in crossfire, optimize the engine for multithreaded processing (not hard to do from a technical standpoint,) and we'll see what we can do.
    I don't have money for 8 600$ GPU's in SLI

Let's not talk about the new computer I would need as well, since the motherboard in this one doesn't even support dual graphic cards

The best solution for me might be to simply buy a 3d monitor, such as this one:

http://www.quietpcusa.com/Zalman-ZM-...r-P365C53.aspx

look at the small thumbnail pictures
    Last edited by eragon100; October 20th, 2008 at 08:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Same principle.

I think the performance problem isn't as bad as I thought, but you'd still need a monster rig to power the thing.

Custom NVIDIA drivers, eh? I bet it's Windows-only.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Same principle.

I think the performance problem isn't as bad as I thought, but you'd still need a monster rig to power the thing.

Custom NVIDIA drivers, eh? I bet it's Windows-only.
    For the regular GeForce series it is windows-only, but for the quadro cards the linux driver supports 3d as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thats pretty cool, but does that mean that eventually we can move windows around the desktop and to different desktops by waving your hand in front of the screen jedi style?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast