Thread: BCM4312 & Hardy Heron & 1 complete newbie

Beans

Red face BCM4312 & Hardy Heron & 1 complete newbie

Hello,

I can't seem to be able to get over the troubles I am experiencing while trying to make the wireless run.

The combination is:

-wifi: Broadcom BCM4312(rev 02)
    -laptop: HP 6820s
    -Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic

I have read and tried quite a few of the guides posted on this forum and elsewhere but none of them works for me. It included ndiswrapper+win driver, as well as a native driver. No matter what I do though, I can't see the wifi connection listed in the Network Setting.

I understand things would be much easier if I could connect the notebook to the internet and let Ubuntu do it's job automatically but I can't since the wifi connection is the only possibility to do so.

In case it is not totally obvious at this moment, I would like to point out I am a complete Linux newbie so it is more than likely I am making an elementary mistake somewhere. I will be very grateful for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: BCM4312 & Hardy Heron & 1 complete newbie

I have run the Intrepid 8.10 live CD on my 6820s and the wireless works out of the box without any setup. Give it a go with the live CD.

Beans

Re: BCM4312 & Hardy Heron & 1 complete newbie

Under 8.04 I had the same problem with the Broadcom Wireless on a Dell 2200. Never did get it working, always had to use a PC card. After going to 8.10 it just works and has been flawless. The upgrade usually is painless, but I opted for a clean install on a second hard drive and then copied the data across. Gave me a backup and a new system. With drives as cheap as they are it probably is a good deal.

good luck, Mike