Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to see devices via bluetooth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unable to see devices via bluetooth

Hi there,

I'm running Hardy. I've just purchased a bluetooth USB tongle, however when I plug it in, nothing happens. I have to run bluetooth-applet from a terminal window in order to get that running and displaying in the notification area of the desktop panel (even though in the applet preferences, it is set to display all the time).

I've searched around a bit; there seems to be a number of references to ensuring a particular option is checked under the devices tab in the preferences - however I don't even have this tab (I only have "services" and "general").

When I right click on the applet, the option to browse a device is greyed out. There's nothing listed in the services tab. If I try and pair the computer from my phone, it can't find anything.

Any ideas on how to get these two devices to play nicely with each other, or at least see each other so they can be paired?

Thanks,
    Stuart.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unable to see devices via bluetooth

Welcome to Ubuntu.
    What's the bluetooth device make and model ?
    First thing to check is go to System-Preferences-Sessions and check that Bluetooth Manager is ticked (so it starts up on boot-up). Now go to System-Preferences-Bluetooth and check that at least Input Service is ticked under Services and under General, Receive files, Authorization, Hardware and Only display when adapter present are ticked (see attached picture).
    With another bluetooth device on and discoverable, try running the following in Applications-Accessories-Terminal
    hcitool scan
    If you have a message 'Device is not available' or nothing displayed you may have other problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

@Kevbert,

Thanks. I remembered about the session prefs after I posted, however I have now enabled that and rebooted. The options under the general tab for the bluetooth devices is the same as your screenshot. Result of the terminal command is:

Code:
    Device is not available: No such device
    Also, the applet icon isn't showing in the panel. I've tried a number of different USB ports, all to no avail.
    Last edited by shehaal; October 18th, 2008 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Add note re applet

Beans
    Distro

With the bluetooth dongle connected enter the following command in Applications-Accessories-Terminal
    Code:
    lsusb
    Is the dongle seen by this command ?
    Do you have any problems with USB connections in general ? You may get errors on boot up. It may be worth looking at your logs with a text editor. They can be found in the /var/log directory.
    Additional bluetooth programs you may need are bluez-gnome, bluez-utils, gnome-bluetooth, gnome-vfs-obexftp (just search for bluetooth using Synaptic Package Manager, if you don't already have them installed).
    Last edited by Kevbert; October 18th, 2008 at 06:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I don't usually have problems with usb devices. It doesn't appear that the dongle is seen by that command (no change in the list between when the dongle is plugged in and when it isn't).

I already have all those programs installed.

When I plug the dongle in, the following entry appears in kern.log:

Code:
    Oct 19 10:52:39 office-pc kernel: [52184.824686] usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 9
    Oct 19 10:52:39 office-pc kernel: [52184.971514] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    From syslog:

Code:
    Oct 19 10:52:39 office-pc kernel: [52184.824686] usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 9
    Oct 19 10:52:39 office-pc kernel: [52184.971514] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    Oct 19 10:52:39 office-pc NetworkManager: <debug> [1224373959.259995] nm_hal_device_added(): New device added (hal udi is '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_c10_0_noserial'). 
    Oct 19 10:52:39 office-pc NetworkManager: <debug> [1224373959.708508] nm_hal_device_added(): New device added (hal udi is '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_c10_0_noserial_if1'). 
    Oct 19 10:52:39 office-pc NetworkManager: <debug> [1224373959.791318] nm_hal_device_added(): New device added (hal udi is '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_c10_0_noserial_if0'). 
    Oct 19 10:52:39 office-pc NetworkManager: <debug> [1224373959.852850] nm_hal_device_added(): New device added (hal udi is '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_c10_0_noserial_if0_bluetooth_hci_0'). 
    Oct 19 10:52:39 office-pc NetworkManager: <debug> [1224373959.869590] nm_hal_device_added(): New device added (hal udi is '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_c10_0_noserial_if2').
    There are entries in other logs, but it's just a repeat of the above.

Beans
    Distro

Strange. With the bluetooth adapter connected, do you have gnome-obex-server installed ? If you do hit Alt-F2 and enter gnome-obex-server and you should have the bluetooth icon displayed.
    If this does not work, please take a look at this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You ripper - it worked! I can connect and browse my phone now, however for some reason Wammu is having trouble connecting. When I enter in the port, it says:

Code:
    Error opening device
    Device 00:17:B0:AD:CC:4A does not exist!
    But when I run hcitool scan, it comes back saying:

Code:
    Scanning ...
    	00:17:B0:AD:CC:4A	shehaal

Beans
    Distro

With Wammu you may need to connect the phone in a certain way. If you run the program click on Help and select Gammu phone database then you can find the connection details. If you are able to connect to the phone, in a different way, you can add or edit the support page. If you want new features for Wammu it may be worth registering (the support guy is very good at getting back to you with a response).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi,

I too have bluetooth problems.

I've just upgraded to intrepid and there are no obvious problems with that.

I bought a bluetooth dongle and a GSP "thing" a couple of weeks ago, but I've only now tried it out in anger.

I've managed to pair with my phone (Nokia 6500 slide), but the GPS fails to pair, with no further info.

Attempting file transfer either way from the phone succeeds so the blutooth itself is working.

Any ideas re the GPS?

It was bought from Ebay and was apparently originally bought from wayfinder, and it's been sold as a SIRFSTAR which I understand is a generic name.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi,

I too have bluetooth problems.

I've just upgraded to intrepid and there are no obvious problems with that.

I bought a bluetooth dongle and a GSP "thing" a couple of weeks ago, but I've only now tried it out in anger.

I've managed to pair with my phone (Nokia 6500 slide), but the GPS fails to pair, with no further info.

Attempting file transfer either way from the phone succeeds so the blutooth itself is working.

Any ideas re the GPS?

It was bought from Ebay and was apparently originally bought from wayfinder, and it's been sold as a SIRFSTAR which I understand is a generic name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast