Thread: Update Manager Sources List Duplicates Problems Help

Beans

Update Manager Sources List Duplicates Problems Help

1) Getting the following error here on a new install of Hardy 8.04 when trying to run the update manager.

A unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'Wuplicate sources.list entry http://archive.canonical.com hardy/partner Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_partner_b inary-i386_Packages), Eroblem parsing dependency Depends, E:Error occurred while processing btnx (NewVersion1), Eroblem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/repoubuntusoftware.info_dists_harty_all_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

2) Also, this PC gives me no sound. It has an Audigy card in it as well as onboard sound. I have disabled onboard sound in the bios so the audigy card should be clear. I have the medibuntu and all other multimedia codecs installed. Tried switching between alsa and pulseaudi in the sound manager. I am stumped on this.

Thanks for any help.

Rich
    Last edited by rlj1965; October 18th, 2008 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Typos and incomplete post by accident.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Update Manager Sources List Duplicates Problems Help

open a terminal and post the output of:
    Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is the 4th time I've seen this error in the last day or two, doing a little research it turns out you have the Ultimate Linux repositories enabled, the repositories have been down since October 13th. If you don't want to see the error message comment out the Ultimax repositories and un comment all the repositories that were commented out when you set up the Ultimax repositories.

Jim
    Last edited by cariboo; October 18th, 2008 at 06:02 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rlj1965 View Post
    1) Getting the following error here on a new install of Hardy 8.04 when trying to run the update manager.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'Wuplicate sources.list entry http://archive.canonical.com hardy/partner Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_partner_b inary-i386_Packages), Eroblem parsing dependency Depends, E:Error occurred while processing btnx (NewVersion1), Eroblem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/repoubuntusoftware.info_dists_harty_all_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

2) Also, this PC gives me no sound. It has an Audigy card in it as well as onboard sound. I have disabled onboard sound in the bios so the audigy card should be clear. I have the medibuntu and all other multimedia codecs installed. Tried switching between alsa and pulseaudi in the sound manager. I am stumped on this.

Thanks for any help.

Rich
    I have been dealing with this problem for the last week and have gotten no were. Help.

Could not initialize the package information

'Eroblem parsing dependency Depends, E:Error occurred while processing btnx (NewVersion1), Eroblem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/repoubuntusoftware.info_dists_harty_all_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'