Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ubuntu on new (unibody) Macbook Pro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu on new (unibody) Macbook Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos.Alexandris View Post
    Now, I bootet with Ubuntu 64-bit. It seems that the description in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook%20Aluminum is a bit different from your recomendation(?). Or does it not make any big difference (that is: partition-ing with BootCamp everything or just have free space and partition-ing with gparted). I already followed the steps described in previous link -- so I have to go through this.
    No, if you want to have other additional partitions other than your root partition and a swap, then please manually partition how you like. I was just showing the "easy" way to install.

I will go ahead and try the XFS filesystem. Is it a bad idea?
    IDK that there are many that have tried. Can GRUB read the files (the kernel) from XFS?

So, if I get it right there is now way to have more than 4 partitions?

One is the OSX and another one the EFI. I would like to split Linux in "/", "/home" and "swap", that is another 3 partitions. Or should I just forget the idea... ?

Any help highly appreciated, Nikos
    No, you are misunderstanding. The actual root partition has to be one of the first 4 (or the /boot partition if you separate it out). GRUB uses the MBR partition table to boot, so it can only 'see' the four partitions contained there (and the Macs emulated MBR does not support extended and logical partitions). The Linux kernel, however, supports the GPT (the real partition table) so once the kernel is loaded, it doesn't matter what partitions there are, it can access any of them. So go ahead and create the separate home partition, just make sure the /boot folder will end up in the 4 'primary' partitions

Beans

I like Ubuntu I am surfing and doing other stuff while the install process is running!

So, you are right I think. With XFS I got a warning message that GRUB hangs when on XFS. So I created an ext3.

Installation complete... rebooting with rEFIt (I suppose), do the rEFIt magick and then hopefully all is ok.

Thnanks!

Beans

(sorry for the double post -- don't know why firefox was taking too long...)

So, here I am. It works

Of course I booted by pressing "alt" and selecting the Windows hard disk icon.

Now I am starting testing...
    Last edited by Nikos.Alexandris; November 4th, 2008 at 06:01 PM.

Beans

So far everything is like the https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook%20Aluminum states.

But, I don't experience (always) a hang when shuting-down. What can I test? The other thread is full with posts inculding various commands/scripts. I am ready to give some feedback.

Cheers!

Beans

Did somebody *really* try to transfer per Bluetooth any data on another computer or on a cell phone?

Beans

Folks,

Great News: the brightness keys, that is the F(n)1 and F(n)2 keys, work in MBP5,1. I've just activated the 3D-effects, shut-down, (re)booted and... voila

I don't know whom I should thank about that. Please try and let me know (if you would like me to post any details).

Cheers, Nikos

Beans

Using MBP 5,1 and I got Ubuntu 9.10 running fine, a few things to note that don't work (at all)

1 : Screen brightness keys
    2 : Volume control keys (media keys like play and stuff do work)

WIRELESS IS WORKING (finally)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus Rex View Post
    Using MBP 5,1 and I got Ubuntu 9.10 running fine, a few things to note that don't work (at all)

1 : Screen brightness keys
    2 : Volume control keys (media keys like play and stuff do work)

WIRELESS IS WORKING (finally)
    This is a very old thread. Both of the above do work. Just install "pommed".

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234