Thread: Shared contacts database

Beans

Shared contacts database

I want to setup a web accessible contacts database with something like a web mail client but without having an actual mail server.
    The idea is that users can login through a browser mainly to access the contacts database. The ability to send mail through that is not as much needed though it would be nice.
    I understand that I will probably have to resort to a mail server, even if I only use mail fetching from the user's original pop3 account. Is that so? I couldn't find any simple solutions.
    Setting up the sql database and creating a java UI to access it would be another option. But I am looking for something that can be deployed easily.
    If there is no other option than setting up a mail server, which one is best, keeping in mind that contact management is more important than email features for this project?
    Thank you all in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Shared contacts database

You might consider meandering over to say HotScripts.com ( http://www.hotscripts.com/ ) to see if you can get some near-ready out of the box php scripts to meet your needs.

IndyTim
    New Build : Core 2 Quad, 8G RAM, 1.75TB Storage ... it's fun!
    GRUB Partition Linux Backups- Ver2 Easy LAMP Install
    Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu User 15015

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

YOu can use PHP to send mail using mail(), you can also use imap_open() for POP3 servers - ignore the function name, although it's mainly for IMAP operations, you can also do most things with POP3 (I've used it myself).

See: http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.imap-open.php

It's relatively trivial to setup an 'address book' sort of CMS affair with PHP and MySQL.

Why would you want to us a Java UI?

You would probably better off going the PHP and MySQL route, since most shared hosting providers can accomodate this. If you *really* need to use Java, then you may need to host the site on a dedictaed server.

Beans

Well, I am planning to host this on a local server, java is no problem. The reason I am looking for something ready is that it would be too complicated to include all functionality of something like zimbra collaboration server for example in my own project.
    I am not sure if zimbra is good for me, I have to test it out. And I don't know if there are any alternatives...