Thread: Removing old kernel entries

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Removing old kernel entries

I recently upgraded the kernel to 2.6.24-21 through the Update Manager. After the upgrade a entry for the new kernel was added to /boot/grub/menu.1st. I checked in /boot and noticed that there were files with prefixes "System.map", "initrd.img" and "vmlinuz" bearing versions all the way from 2.6.24-16 to 2.6.24-21.

Apart from the latest version (2.6.24-21), can I safely delete the older files to free up disk space ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Removing old kernel entries

Kubuntu 17.04 64bit on a Toshiba C55-B5170 with SSD & 12GB Ram
    Ubuntu Server 17.04 64bit, plus various VirtualBox ubuntus for testing stuff out on.....

Beans

You can use Synaptics Package Manager to safely delete those files. You only have to search for the 'linux-image' string (w/o quote) and mark the kernels you want remove for "Complete Removal". Click on the Apply option when you're done selecting what kernels you want to remove. This will automatically update your /boot/grub/menu.lst file for you.

Note: It's better if you leave an older kernel for a backup just in case.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

apart from those methods...you can use synaptic to remove the old kernels. once i am sure that the latest is stable, i usually keep that and the one previous to it....then delete the rest.