Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: firefox and IE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

firefox and IE

I am using hardy. I have a problem with firefox not opening a secure site which explorer does.I tried user agent switcher which opens this site but cant click the links in it. It shows an error -event is not defined...........Line: 144 .IE is installed but Wine makes my machine slow.I am not an expert.Please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: firefox and IE

Could you give the name of the site, or is it a security issue?

Beans
    Distro

It is a private IP https://10.240.32.197 .Before installing user agent switcher it was showing ``It is required to use Internet Explorer 4.0 or later, and enable JavaScript. Please make sure that your browser meets the requirements"

Beans

The fact that you are getting an error when trying to access a secure site leads me to believe that the website is using an encryption algorithm that Firefox doesn't support. Try finding out what encryption algorithm the website is using and then changing the appropriate settings by typing "about:config" in the url bar.
    If you don't want to do that, then try a different web browser like Opera

Beans
    Distro

I tried opera but gets the same error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

dineshs,

I had a similiar thing happen but I knew that I couldn't get to a web site with Firefox but I could with IE. The web site belonged to a customer that I was working on. The reason I could get in with IE but not Firefox or Opera even is because the customer only allowed 1024-bit encryption.

In order to prove to a coworker that I could get to the customer web site with Firefox was to (like Cl0ud9 mentioned) go to about:config in the address bar and enable the parameters following:

Code:
    security.ssl3.rsa_1024_rc4_56_sha
    Code:
    security.ssl3.rsa_1024_des_cbc_sha
    While in about:config you can easily search for 1024 and double-click the aforementioned parameters to toggle both to true.

You can try it to at least see if this is what is required of the web site in question.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro

I tried but it didnt help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Smile Re: firefox and IE

It sounds like you do not have java installed. Look for sun-java6-jre in synaptic and make sure its installed.

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
    Mint 14 | 64bit | DT ACER VN281G | Intel® Atom™ CPU D425 @ 1.80GHz × 2 | Registered Linux User#458200

Beans
    Distro

Still the same error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

One other thing I forgot to mention about using Opera. Not because I'm a big fan but I have had to use a feature in Opera that allows you to mask Opera as IE or Firefox. I have to do this at work when I know that a web site requires IE.

If you try it you should go to the web site. Go to Tools -> Quick Preferences -> Edit Site Preferences, click on the Network tab and set the Browser Identification to Mask as Internet Explorer or Identify as Internet Explorer. You can try both settings if you like.

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast