Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new kernel won't boot, HELP !!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: new kernel won't boot, HELP !!!!

I did not read the changelogs before I updated (I only have Hardy on my desktop), but most of the updates were for Jockey and video drivers and restricted modules. I was fortunate not to have any issues in my upgrade.

Intrepid has been almost rock solid for me. No where near the issues I had while Hardy was new. A great improvement, at least on my laptop where I am running it.
    Bob

Beans

I have video problems with my kernel, can't use xv and dri is no longer running. I already started a thread about it b4 seeing this thread, nice to know I'm not alone.

Beans

Angry Re: new kernel won't boot, HELP !!!!

For me it broke all the previous kernels so I can't boot at all.

Beans

Yup, same problems for me - the .21 kernel won't boot. It gets to running local boot scripts, but won't go further. It does allow me to get to tty1-6, but I'm scoobied if I know what to do when I'm there...

If I try to boot into .21 kernel's recovery mode, it gets one step further (setting up NFS), but stops just the same.

Luckily, I'm still able to use kernel .19. My sympathies to those who can't boot at all - I feel your pain!

Lee

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I am getting a kernel panic error, tells me to use the noapic in the boot string. I can do that in grub, but where do I do it for a permanent solution?
    Laptop - Lenovo-IdeaPad-S340-15IWL,i3-8145U CPU @ 2.10GHz, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD , 20.04 Linux Mint
    Desktop - Lenovo ThinkCentre M81 Intel Core i7--2600 3.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, 16.04 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Mythbuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

having problems here too, locks up on boot, even on recovery mode. It gets to mounting cifs shares I have set up, complains it can't find them and locks up. The -19 kernel still seems to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Crash87ss View Post
    having problems here too, locks up on boot, even on recovery mode. It gets to mounting cifs shares I have set up, complains it can't find them and locks up. The -19 kernel still seems to work.
    just skip the new kernel update and stick with 19 until a fix can be made.
    When life tosses you lemons.... Throw them at stupid people !!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

similar problem here with 2.6.24 update

on hardy server-amd64, dual quad-core opterons on Tyan Thunder mobo, software RAID 1 with mdadm

upgraded to -21 and now it hangs for a long time then drops into busybox saying it "can't find /dev/md2" i.e. my / strangely though, it can find /dev/md1 -> /boot and /dev/md3 -> home with no problem

dropping back to -19 & everything is OK again

without wanting to be unappreciative of the excellent Ubuntu setup in general I have to ask - for a LTS server OS shouldn't testing have picked this up?

M

Beans

for me, with the 2.6.24-21 kernel it loads up as far as setting up nfs, then all of a sudden i get kernel panic and, my caps lock button starts blinking, then everything completly freezes up

all of the other kernels still work fine though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12